Skip to main content

2014 Can-Con: Day One

I arrived at Can-Con full of excitement and wonder. Unlike many other cons in Ottawa, I knew a fair amount of the attendees and the panelists, so it felt exactly like I belonged.


The first panel I had wanted to attend was to be a debate between two Ottawa-area authors on whether short-fiction or novels are better. The panel was unfortunately canceled as one panelist was delayed, so I instead attended the panel on Medical Science Fiction and Biological Engineering, which was moderated by Julie Czerneda, presented by Alison Sinclair and Agnes Cadieux. There were discussions on things like stem cells and how they may test on human stem cells eventually rather than on mice or people. The potential implications of getting your own genome scanned for diseases you are predisposed to developing was another topic. There was speculation that since technology is becoming cleaner than anything biological and given that humans are already beginning to implant their bodies with birth control and diabetic pumps, it’s likely that implanting will become popular like tattoos. What really intrigued me was the idea that the world currently has the resources for all humans to have good lives, but the politics in different regions is what stops humanitarian efforts from succeeding. I came to the conclusion that the world is torn between wanting people to have the freedom to be individuals and wanting to fix the problems on the planet. World peace means imposing some beliefs and cultural ideas on another group of people.


The next panel I went to was called “How to Get Traditionally Published”, which was moderated by Matt Moore, presented by Max Turner, Matthew Johnson, Alison Sinclair, and Julie Czerneda. I learned the term ‘writing purple’ or ‘purply prose’, which is jargon for over-describing (using too many adjectives). I learned writers often get annoyed with their book around 35,100 words. I asked about “book coaches” and was told they are not recommended as a pathway to success as a writer and often people sink somewhere around $10,000 into one unnecessarily. They confirmed that the most important element in selling your book is to show your passion for your work. If you don’t care, why should anyone else?


The final panel I went to was presented by Geoff Gander and Alice Black. It was called “RPGs: How the Industry has Changed, Open gaming Licenses and Breaking in”. I learned that nearly everything I once knew about RPGs has changed. I learned you can’t copyright a game system. Apparently Wizards of the Coast was bought out. Yes, I know that is very old news to most people. Open Gaming License is a thing. It was suggested that anyone wanting to write RPGs start with one module and see how that goes. You need to be ready for your characters to do nearly anything. They might feel they don’t have enough information to go where you want them to, so they’ll just get drunk at the nearest tavern. Your characters have an impact, but the world still goes on when they aren’t around. Much of this can be applied to writing fiction.


I felt that Day One was like a tease. It was a scrumptious appetizer that got me excited for what was to come in the rest of the panels ahead.


Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...