Skip to main content

The Sun Has Come Out

It's been cold in Ottawa for the past few days. There has been rain, and snow. Today, the sun shines its light upon us.

Coincidentally, it is the day after Canada has elected a new leader. Despite my election hangover, I am relieved that the dark days are over. At least they appear to be and I'm going to enjoy it until something happens that I need to be on guard for. I've been on guard for far too long.

This is part of the problem with my neck, I believe.

There was a time that I was with someone who constantly put me on edge. Life was about ensuring their happiness and sacrificing my own. I nearly lost myself. The sight of my purse strap across my body caused upset. I walked on egg shells much of the time. I felt suffocated. I was told that I shouldn't bother writing because I wasn't J.K. Rowling, who I idolize. I felt unsupported in nearly everything I did and unloved. I got out, but those scars take time to heal. How much time is different for each of us.

The combination of living like that for years with repeated neck injuries leads to deeply ingrained tension in the body, particularly in the neck and shoulder area for me.

Recently, my physiotherapist tried dry needling to force my upper trapezius muscles to release. I'm not sure yet whether it worked, but there has been some emotional release, which caught me off guard. I generally feel less tense since Thursday. I often feel my shoulders trying to sneak up towards my ears instead of staying down and back like they should be. At least I'm becoming conscious of it.

My disc is protruding/bulging around C6-C7. This means it's trying to leave its home. This picture shows what that looks like. These things happen for a couple of reasons. Mine occurred as a result of skating into a player much larger than myself. What often compounds this is poor posture. The neck is supposed to be rather like a backwards C. Today's texting focused generation is causing harm to their necks without realizing it. We're losing our natural neck curves. When the neck loses its curve, it can pinch nerves or the spinal cord. My neck is losing its curve, so we're trying to reverse this. What else happens? Slouching causes the spine to compress. A compressed spine makes it harder for discs to stay in their homes. What else? I'm not sure on this one, but compressing the spine might actually make one shorter?

So part of my treatment involves stretching my neck out to provide space for the disc to go back to where it should be. We're also strengthening muscles to help it stay there and make it easier for my neck to support my head. There's exercises I do daily. There's treatments I get weekly. In between, my sweet man massages me. Today I feel less sore. I have more physiotherapy tonight and at least four more sessions after tonight.

But I believe part of the key is to deal with past hurts as emotional pain can manifest in the body. I'm tired of holding onto the bad stuff. I don't have room for it in my life anymore. I can't change the past, but I can choose my future.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...