Skip to main content

Merry Monday - Challenging Week

[caption id="attachment_4711" align="alignleft" width="300"]merry_monday Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

A lot of my weekend was more challenging than I would've prefered, but that's life sometimes.

Videos

Well, I spent a large chunk of the weekend trying to find video software that I don't hate. I haven't been successful. This is what I want. Filmora's easy mode, but don't force a theme on me or music. I like how easy it is to plunk a photo or two in and then have your main video and then another photo. The problem is that they force music and a theme and then your video is like some kind of animated scrapbook instead of a video and the parts where you are talking are gone. I don't want to deal with things frame by frame. It's too much for me to handle mentally, visually, etc. I want something simple, but useful.

And I'm getting really tired of applications that are listed on websites as free, then you download it and an hour into using it a popup informs you that actually it's a trial. Tell me that at the get go. If your software isn't free, it shouldn't come up when someone searches "open source" in Google.

I tried editing the audio on a video, and came to the conclusion it would be easier to redo that video, so I'll do that eventually once I find the video software for me.

Martial Arts

After my first Iaido and Kendo practices of the year, I seem to have injured my right wrist :(

Not a good start to the year for martial arts. Hopefully, it heals quickly.

I did enjoy doing the special kata set that involves spinning and such to rid the dojo of last year's demons. We did them a number of times to be sure we got rid of all of 2016's badness. I don't know the name of them. I can't always understand things people say, especially with the heater running and it being in Japanese.

Job

Still looking for the next job. I can't say I entirely mind not working during winter though. It's nice not having to go out every day.

Writing

After talking with a friend, I figured out my short story had the wrong narrator. Suddenly I feel as though I can actually get the thing written. It's hard to type or write with my wrist though :(

Perhaps I can at least get a semblance of plot going, so I know what to write when my wrist isn't so sore.

For now, I'm watching The OA because the dog down the hall won't stop barking. It barks all day every day, so I left the neighbour a note. Hopefully, he'll do something other than leave the dog alone all day. I don't want to have to file an official complaint if I can avoid it.

Perhaps I can at least get another query sent out for The Page & The Magician. It feels good being done the editing as I can focus on writing other things.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...