Skip to main content

Inching Forward

Things didn't go as planned on Saturday at all, but I decided I was going to have fun regardless. And I did. I got a bit of writing done then I danced with a bunch of strangers at goth night. I'm even flattered that a couple seemed as if they wanted to unicorn hunt me. I left shortly after that to meet a friend at another bar. I'm happy to be at a place with myself where I can change gears like that and move on rather than languish in a funk. It wasn't always the case.

I started Tuesday with a scooter session. It felt great. The only annoying part was seeing my nosy, gossipy neighbour while I was out. Of all the people to run into, but it could've been much worse. As annoyed as I am, I'm not letting that person stop me from working on my fitness goals. It did spike my allergies because the morning is just about the heaviest time for pollen. Perhaps a little later would be better for preventing that. I'd also be less likely to run into people I rather wouldn't see.

I have an assignment due for keys tonight as my lesson is tomorrow. It's just a scale, but a new one with both hands together, which is HARD. My left hand and right hand playing together well in different configurations while being in two different clefs (which are like two different languages at once), requires so much mental effort. But I'm excited about it despite the difficulty.

I'm working hard on my office. It has been a disaster for quite some time now. Another piece is due today. Once the base is in place, I'll be able to plan the last piece, which requires some measuring. Readers, you may expect a before and after photo by the end of the month. That will be the case unless something goes terribly awry.


Please check out my digital to-do list: https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...