Skip to main content

Fitness Update

We've started a steps challenge at work and to keep motivated, but also because I've been wanting to do these things, I've joined The Conqueror Challenges. I'm walking through Angkor Wat, in Cambodia, from home. I'm enjoying the challenge, however, you need to have your phone with you at all times if you want to actually look at the places you're walking past. It would be nice if it vibrated once you arrived at a location because sometimes I'm just walking around my house as I clean and it's not useful to be staring at a screen while doing that.

I've been checking out the places I've passed by in a day. This is the shortest challenge they have and I'm 58% through it. And a neat part of the challenge is that I chose bottles as my contribution, which means that each time I hit a milestone, 10 plastic bottles are removed from the ocean.

Angkor Wat was originally built for the Hindu God, Vishnu. Fun Fact: Vishnu, like Lord Shiva, is a fan of Cannabis. Perhaps I should have started this challenge in April ;)

My progress has taken a hit though. After having a big day of steps, I seem to have pulled my calf muscle. I'm actually surprised because it was my hip flexor that was sore by the end of Monday. I'm also dealing with an infected ingrown toenail that I'm hoping to get in to see the doctor about as it's not getting better.

I'm not up to 10,000 steps a day yet. That day was more than double what I was averaging, which was about 3,500-4,000 steps. I got almost 9,000 steps on Monday.

More annoying to me than the injury itself is that a lot of my other goals around the house require me to be mobile. Ice seems to be helping it hurt a bit less. Hopefully I'll be able to do more next week.

Please check out my digital to-do list: https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...