Skip to main content

September: Basically Fall

There is some disagreement online about whether or not September is fall or summer because technically the Autumnal Equinox is two-thirds of the way through the month and not at the beginning. Here's the thing though, it's cooling down rapidly up here on the 49th parallel. We're having many days of fall-like weather with the odd summer-like day in between. 

Really, September is the transition between summer and fall, so if people want to get into their pumpkin spice and spooky decor early, I don't see the fuss. How about we let people love the things they love?

I've always enjoyed this time of the year. I find summer is often too warm to focus on goals. As such, I spend it enjoying patio weather and drinks with friends because anything else has me constantly searching for a place to keep cool.

But September? This is the time of year for cuddles, scary movies*, harvests, and renewal. Also, the bugs and pollen are largely going away, so for people like me who suffer all summer because of trees and grass, well, we can finally enjoy the outside again. Yes, some things are ending, but it is so new things can begin. 

This week I have my first meet scheduled with The Rainbow Rockers curling league. Though it's predominantly male-presenting people in the league, I'm looking forward to making some more LGBTQ+ friends while doing something active. I'm slightly worried about keeping my feet and ankles warm while playing, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. The first match isn't until October.


GOALS

Declutter

Goal 1: Put items up on marketplace. [Moved to August - Started]

Goal 2: Plan next steps in the declutter. [DONE]

Finances

Goal 1: Get the tires changed/stored and the calipers handled on my car. [July - PARTIALLY DONE]

Goal 2: Book an appointment with my advisor to see if there is something I can do like take a small amount of my RRSP to wipe it all out, then get promptly back to contributing. [Moved to September]

Fitness

Goal 1: Finish the Paris challenge. [August - DONE]

Goal 2: Sign up for the next challenge. [August - DONE]

Goal 3: Purchase a rowing machine that folds up. [September - DONE]

Music

Goal 1: Continue researching the genre [July-September]

Goal 2: Come up with a practice routine. [Moved to September]

Twitch Update

Goal 1: Update the about list with your commands [July - DONE]

Goal 2: Get to Affiliate [?]

Goal 3: Install origami holder [July - DONE]

Writing

Goal 1: Add music to Popcorn Girl [July]

Goal 2: Edit 3+ chapters of Sparker [July-September]**


Please check out my digital to-do list: https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

*For me, it's always time for scary movies ;)
**I messed up on this one. I should have listed which specific chapters because now I can't remember if I've edited any of them this whole quarter. I think I did, but I guess I need to look through my previous blog posts to figure it out. I think I may switch to monthly goal setting rather than quarterly as well.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...