Skip to main content

A Packed Weekend

Friday

Two summers ago, I and some friends were able to participate in a movie scene in Ottawa's Strathcona Park. The location wasn't unknown to me. Steampunk Ottawa has fairly regular meetups near the ruins and I was a member for a time. They actually had one that day.

We were there to film a fight scene for Enter the Drag Dragon. The task set before us was to run at the drag queen who would beat us up with phallic nunchuks. There is more than one drag queen in the story and they all play the same character, Crunch. Ours, Jade London, is in the middle section of the film. Jade is pictured below with the nunchuks in her left hand.

One never knows if they will be seen in a movie when they aren't playing a big role, but I'm there. Twice! The second time I'm on-screen was from the filming session that happened in April 2022 at the Mayfair. It's a little harder to find me in that one, but I'm there. 

Seeing my name in credits was a strange and wonderful experience that I hope to have happen someday under the writing section. I'll soon be hermiting to put the work in that could make that a possibility one day. I got a screenplay idea during my holiday visit and I'm exploring it.

Saturday 

As I was out fairly late the night before, I was thankful that my planned outings for the following day weren't scheduled before 2:00 PM. This meant that I could go back to sleep for a while after writing the Friday part of the post.

What was my Saturday plan? I was off to see Tone Cluster. It's a local queer choir. I found out about it at the queer jam night and I immediately bought a ticket because I want to get more connected with other 2SLGBTQI+ people who into music. 

Fun fact: I was in a choir in high school. I truly enjoyed it. Maybe one day I'll get over that fear that I succumb to when doing a vocal audition.

One of the songs, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, was so beautiful that it nearly brought me to tears. It's a poem by Robert Frost that was put to music. This particular version was by Joshua Shank.

I felt like crying again when the viola player, Ryan Vis played his first piece, Sonate a-Moll D 821 "Arpeggione": 1. Allegro moderato by Franz Schubert. I didn't let myself either time because my eyes don't produce quality tears.

I had such a wonderful experience that I'm hoping to audition. My friend, who is a member, told me they practice on Monday, which would mean changing my streaming schedule, but I've been wanting to do that anyway. It's a lot to be streaming during weeknights because I end up too tired the next day at work. I may change Wednesday also.

Sunday

The above meme accurately describes what the curling experience was like on Sunday. 

We played a team that is supposed to be in C division. They're in E from having to forfeit too many times due to Covid. As a result, we were lucky to score the one point that we did. Their score was written down as 15 because the scoreboard couldn't hold any more points. They completely destroyed us and were only 3 of 4 players. 

You may be thinking they should've gone easier on us. Had they done that, it could prevent them from getting back to the level they're supposed to be at because the point spread matters. It's likely not fun for them to be winning so easily all the time. 

Before playing them we were sitting at third place in our division. It'll be interesting to see where we end up after this.

Now we wait for the Round 3 schedule to come out.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...