Skip to main content

2012!

I've been quite busy, so I haven't been updating this blog. My novel is hovering at the 50% mark or 25,000 words. Yay! So while I haven't been blogging, I have been writing, a lot.

Life has been pretty crazy in the past 9 months. The company I work for is being divested and many of us feel like we are stuck in a slow death. The hubby and I are applying for other opportunities and may relocate. Several friends have had or will be having their first babies soon.

It has been a little hard to focus on my writing, as last week we received the first concrete date given of anything in the divestment process, and so I having been thinking about my career lately. I am trying to find telecommuting options for myself, so we can be wherever my husband needs for his next job, and so I'll be less likely to end up in this situation again. I am working on putting together a Writer's Resume for myself.

I am also trying to figure out what to say about my novel when people ask the inevitable, "What is it about?", question. It's about a boy who is different--Doesn't that sound like almost every other story?--and he has a huge task to fulfill (hello Harry Potter, Jesus, etc). I know what I need to divulge to sell it, but I'm not ready to tell anyone until the book is "complete". Then I can approach an agent and get into meetings with publishers, if I go the traditional route, or I can self-publish and risk no one bothering to read it at all. I'm hoping to have people proofread sections that are in their area of expertise, before I get looking for an agent, but I don't want too many people to read the full novel until it's in stores. Maybe that's odd, but it's precious to me.

At a birthday last night someone told me that they thought it was a pretty big deal to decide to write a novel and were impressed. I found it interesting because the person is around 30 and recently decided to apply to law school, which I think is impressive.

I'm currently in another research phase, but I'll be done it soon. I'll be back writing my novel shortly, and hoping I can finish it before I'm out of a job. I'm not too worried about having a job, as I have other skills besides my writing. Writing is what I want to do to make a living and break free from the hamster wheel called office work. I feel like when I can spend my days writing, I will finally feel like I'm doing something important with my life. Maybe I'll just go up a level on Maslow's hierarchy, but it has to be better than this.

Ciao
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...