Skip to main content

A Long, Hot Day

It's been very warm in Ottawa this week. It was +40 yesterday because of the humidity levels. What was I doing? I was performing Iaido setei gata as part of a demonstration my dojo did for the Japanese Festival (Natsumatsuri), which is organized annually by JETAA Ottawa. I chose to do the standing version of Mae following by Kesa Giri, Morote Tsuki, San Po Giri, and Shiho Giri. My etiquette could have been better, but we don't do standing etiquette often. After the demo I watched some Taiko drummers and joined an interactive geisha dance. I probably should have drank more water. I didn't feel great by the end of the day. Supper at an air-conditioned restaurant helped.

When I got home I was treated to about 4 hours of very loud Latin music. There was a soccer game going on at the high school nearby. Normally sports teams go there and don't play music at all; the only thing heard is the odd whistle. This was so loud that despite closed windows and doors, it sounded like it was on my own sound equipment and the speaker right next to me. Thankfully it ended and I got some sleep. I still feel a little off, like I'm fevered but my temperature is low.

As far as editing goes, I'm on chapter 17. I feel like I'll need to edit it again before sending it to beta readers. I think I'll print it out for the next pass. I feel close and yet far. One of my writing friends was at the festival and we talked about how each stage that is ahead of where you are is scary. It's a lot of shooting a foot out into the dark and trying to put it down. You might fall, but then you just pick yourself back up and go in a different direction. He gave me some advice for my next stage of selecting beta readers.

It was National Ice Cream Day. I partook in that also.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...