Skip to main content

An Answer... sort of

My last post was a rather emotional one. Sorry for that.

After seeing the rheumatologist, much weight has been lifted.

The appointment was annoying though. It was for 10:20 and I didn't get to see her until nearly an hour after that. They overbooked. Then, when I finally see her she is going through the results in a painfully slow way. She mentioned that my white blood cells are low. So I'm freaking out in my head, wondering where she's going with this.

Low white blood cells happen with Cancer, but also with autoimmune disorders. It's not Cancer!

As she went through them, she said it's not Lupus either. It's also not Rheumatoid Arthritis.

It's probably Sjogren's Syndrome. Why probably? I've had problems with my salivary glands since I was 14 years old and dryness in other areas. Chronic dryness in the mouth that causes a high frequency of cavities. Now my eyes are often dry, but not gritty.

Anyway, it causes joint pain also.

Back to the probably. It's hard to diagnose this one. Blood tests are often not helpful. A conclusive test involves a tongue biopsy, which is extremely painful and often causes permanent nerve damage.

She wants me to go back to the ear, nose, and throat specialist for some reason, even though I'll still need to be her patient.

So I get one drug for now, which is the same drug I would've got if it had been RA. It doesn't take affect for 3 months.

She said I can continue with the anti-inflammatory I currently have or get medicinal marijuana for pain treatment.

I walked out of the appointment in a giddy state...

There will be challenges, I'm sure. Finding products I'm not allergic to like lip balms, for example.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...