Skip to main content

Black Belt - So what?

On Friday I traveled down to a friend's place in Oshawa, Ontario. We ate. I excitedly ran about giving her and her daughter gifts. Or tried to. New socks plus excitement led to me falling down some stairs. It wasn't something I needed. At least her daughter loved the gift. After that we climbed into the hot tub for some girl time and relaxation as Saturday was a big day for us.

Early Saturday morning we left for Etobicoke. We arrived at the Olympium and lugged all our gear inside. The next step was finding out where we were going, which was much easier to find than the last time we traveled to a seminar together.

The seminar was fantastic! I received some key tips that I think will help fix my grip once and for all. Hopefully I remember them. I wrote the most important ones down already, but I'm remembering some right now that I should scribble down.

After the seminar, we hurriedly ate lunch and returned to the room for grading. During the seminar, I became quite sore, especially in the part of the buttock that met the step abruptly the day before. Today, it hurts even more.

So grading. We lined up when told and stood at attention with swords sheathed as we waited to step onto the grading floor. I did reiho (etiquette) without leaving anything out. In practice earlier this month, I forgot to bow to Shinzen or the judges. That would've been terrible at grading and possibly fail worthy. I remembered Galligan Sensei's advice to take three breaths between each kata to perform them at a proper speed. I tried to incorporate some of the suggestions into my grading embu. I was tired and sore. Battle-weary one might say.

I passed. My rank is now Shodan (1st Dan), which means I'm a black belt. So why the title of this blog post? Getting a black belt is cool, for sure, but all it means is that I have gotten the fundamentals down. It's like a foundation. There's a whole building left, plumbing, electrical, framing, a roof, siding, shingles, landscaping, etcetera left to install. I'm just getting started.

Nearly all my friends passed too. After dinner the ladies and I went back to the hot tub and watched a movie, which I briefly nodded off during. What movie? Pacific Rim. There were giant aliens and giant robots, and eventually swords. It was epic.

The drive home today felt long in my semi-broken state, but it's the good kind of broken.

Ittekimasu,
Roy Iaidoka

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...