Skip to main content

Wonder Wednesday: 19 Things about Daylight Savings Time

[caption id="attachment_4713" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Image created using Bit Strips. Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

I believe I was told at some point in time why we have Daylight Savings Time (DST), but I can't remember. Lately, I've been advocating for its demise, but I wondered if that is really the right way to go. Perhaps there are good reasons why we still do it?

Some Things about DST

  1. Its purpose is to provide more daylight during the summer months.

  2. Countries near the equator don't do it.

  3. It can save energy depending on use of things like air conditioning or heat.

  4. Early morning accidents increase slightly, but are offset by fewer late night accidents.

  5. Incidents involving pedestrians increase during the fall.

  6. It potentially boosts the economy because people want to go out more and shop when it's brighter out.

  7. In its beginnings it was a gradual change of 20 minutes on four Sundays in April and September, for a total change of 80 minutes.

  8. Its inventor was Ben Franklin.

  9. Since its inception people have been confused, though with the invention of smart devices that has reduced.

  10. It's original name was Summer Time.

  11. It disrupts sleep for many people.

  12. It reduces productivity.

  13. It disrupts the farming community and its animals.

  14. It interferes with some religious practices.

  15. Some countries shift their time by less than one hour.

  16. Only 35% of the countries in the world change their time.

  17. The switch to November leaves more daylight for Halloween.

  18. It may increase risk of serious health conditions such as stroke, blood clots, and heart attacks.

  19. 2016 marks its 100th anniversary!


Sources

  1. http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

  2. http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/30/living/daylight-saving-time-feat/

  3. http://www.nbc26.com/news/national/why-do-we-still-observe-daylight-saving-time

  4. http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/off-island-gazette/greg-duncan-is-it-time-to-put-an-end-to-daylight-savings-time

  5. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/forum-daylight-saving-time-1.3489495

  6. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time


 

Announcement

There won't be a post this Friday unless I finish my short story before then. I need to get it done and submitted for an anthology, so I can get back to editing The Page & The Magician.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...