Skip to main content

Wonder Wednesday: Ideas and Inventions

[caption id="attachment_4713" align="alignleft" width="300"]Image created using Bit Strips. Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

Do you ever wonder about how people come up with their ideas?

Some are quite obviously filling a need most intuitively understand. The Slap Chop ("You're gonna love my nuts!") provides a safe way to chop or dice things expeditiously. Onion Goggles, well who hasn't felt the burn from cutting onions?

In one of Neil Gaiman's books, American Gods, I swear he was describing a creature that eats a man from its genitalia. I'm sure the "man-eating vagina" is not an uncommon nightmare or trope.

Some of my writing ideas come from the weirdest places, such as just touching a book about origami. You'll understand what that applies to when I get The Page & The Magician finished and published.

But what about games?

Some are simplistic. There are nearly one hundred forms of solitaire all from the same 52 card deck that can be found worldwide with no language barriers.

Hungry Hungry Hippos is a little out there with its marble-eating frenzy, but there are very few rules and nearly anyone can do it.

But then there are games like Magic the Gathering that are strategic and complex. The current version of the comprehensive ruleset is over 200 pages. This particular game is over 20 years old and some estimate the total count of unique cards to be between 12000 and 20000. Cards have been redesigned over the years to welcome diversity. The language around Magic has also been evolving to make it gender neutral. I wonder if its original designer(s) had any idea it would become so expansive. I also wonder what the earliest versions looked like. Imagine play testing it. For the newbie player, such as myself, learning the game feels an insurmountable task, but I've been directed to a great starting resource called Level One: The Full Course.

Mostly, I think ideas come from some sort of need. Sometimes, rather than a physical or convenience need, it is more of a rational need to understand something about this fascinating world we share with so many others. Games are a fun way to learn new skills like strategic thinking, which Magic certainly requires. Improving my ability to think strategically is on my performance objectives for this year, mostly because I thought it would be a good skill to boost. I figured I'd only learn so much from whatever training work provides though and I've always wanted to improve my Magic skills.

Maybe I'll design a game someday.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...