Skip to main content

Funky Friday: Oblivious?

[caption id="attachment_4712" align="alignleft" width="300"]Image created using Bit Strips. Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

I've not paid much attention to the news this week. I've been focused on getting things done in my life.

Ottawa

  1. Excited: Comiccon starts today! It feels like I've been waiting forever. There are lots of fun panels I'm attending, a geek orchestra, Q&As with Alan Tudyk (Wash from Firefly) and John-Rhys Davies (Gimli from Lord of the Rings).

  2. Relieved: I finished a project at work yesterday, so now I am truly unburdened. The actual project is a couple of weeks away from full completion, but my regular role for it is old hat compared to what I was put on to help finish a worrisome chunk.

  3. Happy: My Xbox 360 breakaway cable arrived yesterday and I was able to play some Rocksmith. I bought that game over 3 years ago and I couldn't play it because I had a guitar with a twisted neck that couldn't stay in tune, so advancing in the game was impossible.


Ontario

  1. Worried: There's another wildfire burning around the Ontario and Manitoba border. While that's not super close to me, there's also been fires in my hometown 4 hours from here. There's just a lot of fires all over Canada right now and we could really use some rain everywhere.


Canada

  1. Impressed: I'm impressed with how Trudeau handled the fire situation in Alberta by listening to what the firefighters, a.k.a. experts said. He didn't go out there for photo ops and instead continued handling the rest of his duties while on standby should the experts decide it was time to call in extra help. Oh, and he didn't put Canada at risk for being invaded. Autonomy is a great leadership quality. He followed protocol.

  2. Upset: I was attacked on Twitter for tweeting to the PM that he did a good thing working with the UN to eradicate preventable diseases. As such, I no longer allow people who aren't my followers to see my tweets or interact with me on Twitter. I have no need for trolls in my life or people who try to disguise disrespectful behaviour as "debate". They made me terribly sad that such rampant hatred exists. I don't think I'll ever understand such people.


World

  1. Proud: I'm proud that Canada is helping with the efforts to eradicate tuberculosis, malaria, and AIDS from the earth. I'm not sure on the actual dollars that have been committed to it, but I hope there's part of the budget that already speaks to this. The UN is predicting really bad things if more isn't done to get rid of these terrible viruses.


Well, I have a few things left to do to prepare for Comiccon. It doesn't start until 2:30 PM, but I took the full day off. I intend to put Spirited Away on while ironing my costume and cutting up veggies for my snacks.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...