Skip to main content

Wonder Wednesday: Conflict

[caption id="attachment_4713" align="alignright" width="300"]Image created using Bit Strips. Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

It's funny how in real life I can't stand conflict. That's not to say I don't stand up for myself. It was something I had to learn, though. In the beginning, I would overdo it. I'd be too aggressive because I was overcompensating for all the times I didn't.

In writing, I love conflict! Whenever a scene feels a little flat I throw a wrench in the works and have my character limp or crawl along. They have to fight against tough odds. The only time I let things calm down is before something worse happens. The calm before the storm. The trick there is keeping enough tension, so the reader doesn't think the story has ended. I'm still learning to do that.

Conflicting priorities are part of life and it's no different for writers. To be a good writer I often hear it's important to have a full life, but then you have to manage your time well. As a writer with a full-time day job, a martial artist, and a hobbyist musician (among other things), I know the struggle well. Add to that the need to read, learn, have a social life, and maybe watch some TV or movies sometimes... (Like Star Wars on May the 4th, perhaps?). Life would be empty without conflict, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Conflict lets me appreciate achievements and downtime more.

At some point, conflict needs to resolve. I managed to get that parking ticket canceled. Happily, I didn't have to use the phone or drive back to that mall.

I managed to get that parking ticket canceled. Happily, I didn't have to use the phone or drive back to that mall. I've come to hate speaking on the phone. That's not unusual today, but I think it's more pronounced because of my introverted nature. We once celebrated spontaneous phone calls or unplanned company. These days it's a weird thing to do. I'm not sure if it's a good change. Maybe it has contributed to people having less social skills. I think we're socializing as though we're TV characters and that's bringing about miscommunication and creating unnecessary conflicts.

In writing, conflict doesn't have to be an axe-wielding wedding interloper. It can be more subtle like the character's only pants getting soaked. Then we are taken through the steps the character tries to get their pants dry. Once they achieve that, a new conflict that is bigger will be thrust upon them until the theme of the story comes full circle and the character is altered in some fundamental way that changes their existence from that point onward giving them a new "normal". See how fun conflict is?

Well, if I continue, I'm afraid it will turn into meaningless rambling, so I'll sign off here.

Ciao,
R

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...