Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - Health & Fitness Update

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

Between the posture wedge and just carting less things around campus, my neck is doing a lot better. On Tuesday of last week I was crying and wondering how the hell I was going to make it through two semesters in so much pain. Now I feel like I need to become one with the virtual world and set up residence inside Blackboard, but my pain has drastically reduced. My tablet is here, but I can't use it yet as I'm not allowed to pick it up until after 1PM and I'm in class until 3PM.  I checked with First Draft and I'm good to go on installing it on a second device, so yay :)

I haven't found time to run lately and it's been impossible to make it to Tuesday iaido classes, but hopefully I'll be in my groove soon.

It looks like the HEMA club will hopefully be up and running soon. I'm going to take it easy with the sparring aspects and focus on learning some history and maybe help with writing translations.

For one of my assignments, many of us messed up and did the wrong thing, so we have to redo it. I've now written an episode of South Park involving martial arts. It needs more work before it's final, but it's going to be a nice portfolio piece to show one of my styles of writing.

I got lost in A building briefly, but I seem to know most of the campus now. I've gotten used to the extra walking and it's not killing me now. Hopefully soon I'll feel good enough and have the swing of things, so I'll be able to fit in more other exercise.

Well, hopefully this is the last day of class with the laptop. I really enjoyed the freedom I felt on Monday when I didn't have to lug a bag around. I got to sit upstairs on a double decker and despite the bug guts on the windows, it was neat to see my neighbourhood from up there.

Class should be starting soon if the teacher can get the equipment working, so I'll have to say bye for now.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...