Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - The 9th Day of Remembrance

Today is about a symbol or act of remembrance. I've chosen the Latin Cross, which not only has its roots in Christianity, but also marks the graves of countless soldiers.

remembrance-day-1371808_1280

If the above image doesn't make you think that perhaps we should avoid war at all costs, I don't know how to get the message across any clearer. I've noticed some people talking about war flippantly as if it isn't humans dying. It's as if because it's not them, those lives don't matter. We should never be in a rush to kill other people no matter if our worldviews are different.

Crosses are popular objects used as grave markers, in religious items like wall crucifixes or rosary beads, and they also mark the locations of accidents on roads around the globe. They are a symbol of Christianity, but also of so much more.

 

In my own life, the Ontario College Employers Council's war against its teachers is ongoing largely because the College Employers Council is refusing to negotiate, despite what lies they are telling the media and others. It's more annoying being lied to than it is having the strike. It's almost as if they think we're stupid. Judging by most of the marks that I got before the strike happened, I'm far from it. If the adults could stop acting like children, that would be great.

I took most of today to rest as I'm still battling the flu, but I'm confident that if I keep doing my assignments, things will eventually work out. I did at least book an appointment to get my winter tires installed and an oil change. I might also be getting that outstanding caliper done. It's good I've been saving for this.

I got to spend time with my young buddy yesterday and watch him do his yellow belt test. I was so worried for him because he's a bit easy to distract and at his age it's really hard to sit still, but he made it through. He's gotten really good at balancing on one foot. At least on one side anyway. He has some stuff to work on, but that's part of martial arts. You're never done improving yourself.

Well, I think it's time to turn the heat on. I'm freezing!

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

 

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...