Skip to main content

On Edge - ROW80 R1-16

This sounds superstitious, but the fact that this is Leap Year has me on edge. Why? The last two have been rather difficult for me.

In 2012, my work place was being divested and I was working multiple job roles because of all the people who had left. My marriage also ended. This led to a major life change, which included moving to Ottawa. I love Ottawa, so at least that worked out. The rest was hard.

In 2016, I was restructured out of my job. This led to me floating about for a while on EI as I tried to figure out my future, trying some things like Copywriting out, and going back to school for screenwriting. After school, it took time to find work and I almost lost my home and car in the process. Scary stuff.

It's now 2020 and I have a full-time permanent job again, but I'm filling multiple job roles because we're short-handed. We're also so far into year end that it's hard to train the person who is learning to be me for one of those roles. I'm just hoping nothing too bad happens because I'd really like to just get to playing music, writing stories, doing martial arts, and having one job. Is that too much to ask for?

I think given my past experiences, my current feelings aren't unreasonable. I'm longing for the slow period of the year that happens to have warm weather and patios.


FITNESS

I have started practicing martial arts at home as part of the 100 Days of Practice challenge. This is a music thing, but I'm tracking my Iaido and Writing along with it.


HOME

I'm doing better on my chores. I have started my fabric divider project to visually separate my living room from my entranceway. I have also brought another big box to charity and removed several broken items from my place.


MUSIC

Piano is back in my life as part of the 100 Days of Practice challenge, which I started today.


SELF-CARE

I had my first dentist appointment in four years. It went really well. This new dentist is going to see if she can get my slight overbite fixed, which could have ripple effects throughout my system and may result in lower inflammation levels and better sleep, as well as, a reduction in teeth grinding, so I'll have an easier time with energy for fitness and get fewer cavities. I didn't know that could all be connected like that, but I'm hopeful, because she said it could also mean less pain in my tendons because lack of sleep alone can cause widespread pain in the body. My overbite might be causing the slight apnea I have and it's almost certainly related to my grinding. At the very least, I'll get a new night guard that doesn't have clips on it because those are hurting my gums.


WRITING

I'm looking forward to getting back to my stories this week. I didn't get to any at all last week, though I did have some ideas.

Sparks: 76,652/80,000 words
The Mockumentary: 12/120 pages

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...