Skip to main content

My Overly Ambitious Joints

It's actually a bit difficult to follow up a post about finally being able to poop in my own home!

I almost wrote about the new Covid restrictions in Ontario, but the most concerning items were rescinded and the rest is a mess. Where my brother is, they can't buy a plunger at the dollar store, but they can at a hardware store. They also can't buy diapers at the dollar store, but baby wipes are allowed.

In personal health news, apparently I have hyper mobility. There are some things that come with that and I didn't know I was different. My skin is stretchy. I bruise more easily. As I suspected, my tendons and ligaments are weaker than they should be. I've long known something was off with my tendons when practicing iaido. The good news is that this may be why I have chronic pain. My joints were given ultrasounds and they show no signs of inflammation. Since my joints can bend more than they should be able to, they hurt my weak tendons. Now, nothing currently can be done about my tendons and ligaments, but there are exercises to strengthen the muscles that will help better support my tendons and ligaments. It's likely also the cause of my teeth grinding. Cycling is supposed to be a good exercise along with some sillier things like hopscotch.

I am waiting to hear on some blood test results to learn more. My specialist is trying to uncover why my Rheumatoid Factor keeps coming up positive. There are unfortunately a lot of possibilities and I get to hope that it's not one of the scary ones. It feels rather like trying to vote for the least terrible politician.

Being on an extended stay-at-home order complicates decluttering as no one is accepting donations right now. At least I'm close to the point where I don't have much left to get rid of.

My bathroom is still in progress, but it's coming along. I have everything I need to finish it now. I just need the time, which is hard while working every day. I also need a plumber in order to be able to completely finish the majority of the bathroom. There will eventually be a phase 2 for the shower area, but I will be taking a break from renovating after this for awhile except for finishing the office reno I started, but that is actually much less disruptive to my life. We'll see how long this lasts as I do have some things I want to do like painting my trim, but smaller projects that I can do gradually also aren't as disruptive to life.

I recently played Rocksmith 2014 on beginner level for rhythm guitar and it was so much fun! I think it was a helpful test to see where I'm at with my learning. Some of the songs were easy and I could have fun singing along. Some were a little harder, but within reason with some practice. There were a handful that threw a bunch of chords I've never played at me all at once and they were too hard right now. I'm going through each song I currently have and eventually I will make a list of ones I want to work on in the learning mode, so I can get some of those chords down pat. 

I've had a lot of ideas for my writing projects lately that I'm making notes on. I've been really tired with the weather being all over the place. Hopefully this will resolve soon and I can function better.

https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...