Skip to main content

M.I.A.

I had a different post planned, but then I got Covid and got preoccupied dealing with all that brought. Sorry for disappearing.

The scariest thing about having Covid was that it's new. It doesn't progress the way other illnesses have for me. Usually they gradually get worse until they peak and then they gradually get better. I had days that felt like no change happened and ones where I would get a new symptom like a severe headache that felt just like the neck pain I occasionally get ever since I hurt myself playing roller derby.

And a problematic thing for someone with Sjogren's Syndrome is that it can be hard to tell if I'm actually fevered or my body is just having a moment where it thinks it is. I can usually figure it out if I'm having the other fever symptoms like the chapped lips at least.

Luckily, I recovered just in time to attend Can-Con 2022. But Covid is one hell of a thing and I have some lingering symptoms like a dry cough and erratic energy levels. My brain also feels a touch off. 

Oh, and my ability to taste food is all over. I had fries from A&W and they were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Normally, I would absolutely love this, but I couldn't taste them at all. They were crispy nothings.

A couple hours later and I seem to be able to taste lactose free gouda without issue.

Despite all that and my mask making my nose run, Can-Con Day 1 was wonderful! It was so good seeing some friends that I haven't in years. I'm looking forward to what Day 2 brings after I have some rest because I'm truly beat after shopping for snacks, voting in our city election, getting myself to the convention, and taking some panels in.

Speaking of, those were very enjoyable. I especially liked learning truths about volcanoes that make the journey in Lord of the Rings impossible. Did you know that lava is actually hard like rock? What a thing to discover!

OCTOBER GOALS

Finances

- research a 0% credit card to consolidate debt to*: I may be changing my mind on this one. If you miss any payments at all, you can lose the 0% deal, plus there is the fee to transfer, and it may not actually help me much after all.

Fitness*

- rowing 2x weekly: Covid really messed this up.
- moving (walking/dancing/curling/cleaning) 4x weekly: I got some cleaning done despite Covid.

Home

- sell items*
- set up reading nook*: The base is in place and so is the mattress. I need a sheet to cover it.
- set up daybed in the living room: This has been accomplished.
- clean condo: In progress.

Music

- Practise
- Learn at least one song*: I've chosen a song to focus on.

Twitch Update

- continue working towards Affiliate

Writing

- edit Chapter 14 (Sparker)*
- edit Chapter 15 (Sparker)
- continue working on Popcorn Girl

*I actually haven't been doing ROW80 for a while for my accountability. I'm part of Danielle Allard's Dino community, which is filled with delightful chaos, and the starred goals are my priority ones for the month. They are the ones I'm reporting on there. I've found quarterly goals to be too much.


Please check out my digital to-do list: https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...