Skip to main content

DIY Monitor Stand

On the 18th, I was up early and ready to go shopping at 7:00 AM for the items I needed to get several things done, but my nose decided that bleeding was going to be a thing. To be fair, I had woken up with a bloody nose, but I thought it had stopped until I was almost done clearing my car off and my nose seemed to start back up. Despite no tissues in my car, I luckily made it through the scraping of the windshield, but I'm sure any neighbours who were up likely thought it was odd that I warmed it up and cleaned it off only to turn it off and go back inside. The offending nostril was all blocked up after and I didn't know if I could trust it while shopping, but I had things to do, so I grabbed tissues and headed back out!

Unfortunately, this nosebleed thing happens quite often with Sjögren's Syndrome. Especially in winter with the dry heat from the electric baseboard heaters that are in my condo building. I miss gas heat. It didn't dry me out as much. A cheap way to help increase moisture in my home may be to air dry my laundry, which would also save some money. I sleep with a humidifier, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I find sticking some petroleum jelly up my nose helps and it has often been better than the products that are supposed to be specifically designed for dry nose care.

Anyway, that was just a little of my weekend challenges. I was sure there would be more as I built a new monitor stand that I hoped would better handle my setup. I have a large monitor in the middle of my desk with a laptop on either side and a shared KVM switch (Keyboard, Video, Mouse), which lets me share the large monitor between my work laptop and my home laptop. While, I'd love three large gaming screens instead, this is what I have and it likely won't change for quite some time.

The wood was cut for the project, but I did not have the legs, paint, sandpaper, or other connective pieces and screws. I built one because the market doesn't have what I needed, which is a centre part with side wings for the laptops. I also wanted the whole thing to take up less space than most of the available products and be high enough off of the desk surface to let me have things underneath the stand like my soundbar, my small synthesizer, and my iPad. The whole thing is about making my small space more usable. And it had a benefit of being customizable to my own style.


I had some other things to shop for as well like a reading pillow to prop myself up in bed with and yummy things to eat. I didn't find a reading pillow that I liked. Most were ugly colours like mustard that wouldn't go with my decor at all. I soon learned that Bed Bath and Beyond is pulling out of Canada, so I hoped that I would find one there in the near future for a decent price.

I would be delayed again by a fire alarm in my building before I could go out and shop. By then, it was getting ever closer to noon and I decided to wait a little longer to avoid the midday traffic and busyness at the stores. I also had a film related workshop to attend starting at noon that I had forgotten about, so it would be the evening before I could get out and get the things I needed.

I thoroughly enjoyed painting the legs. It had been a while since I had last done a wood based craft project.

Here is the result:


Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...