Skip to main content

On Clothing

Some people wonder why LGBTQ+ folks change the way they dress after coming out. Part of it is because we still don't feel fully like ourselves. It's like we can't truly express who we are in the wrong clothing. It's that old saying, "The clothing makes the man."

I'm personally rejecting most feminine clothing these days for many reasons.

1. Who I am.

I lean towards the masculine side of life. I was always a bit sporty prior to high school and after university. In high school, I was a tomboy goth. When I first started working office jobs, I loved wearing blazers or vests and dress pants. Now, I'm somewhere around a futch. What's that mean aesthetically? Think blazers, turtlenecks, Henley shirts, skate shoes, t-shirts, jeans, cargos, hoodies, and dress shoes. But I don't mind adding in some girlish elements here and there like earrings, a pixie haircut, and dark nail polish. This all lets me play with gender in my outfits.

2. Durability and sustainability.

It's more common to find clothing that lasts in the men's section. It's like they realize that men don't want to constantly shop. Neither do I. It's as if they want to force women to constantly be replacing their things or to constantly be shopping. Aside from the annoyance and inconvenience of that, it isn't good for the planet and I care about reducing my carbon footprint where it makes sense to.

3. Pockets.

Men's clothing items, especially pants, have pockets. Not just pockets, but ones that hold more than a fucking lip gloss. 

4. Comfort and functionality.

I have never enjoyed womens shoes. I rarely want to wear dresses, skirts, or leggings. Pretty much a summer wedding when it's too hot to have a lot of layers on is when I might choose a dress. There is almost nothing I can't do in pants. I'm far more ready for running in skate or dress shoes.

5. Sizing insanity.

It's not uncommon for men's clothing to be sized as the literal number of inches your waist or neck is. With women's clothing, good fucking luck. Many products are sized to avoid hurting a woman's feelings, so a 10 in one brand is not a 10 in another. You have to try everything on to figure out if it fits you and hangs nicely on your particularly body. There's a lot less of that in clothing that doesn't need to hug every curve you have.

6. Confidence.

I've always felt more myself and more confident in comfortable clothing that fits my needs. Suits definitely boost the confidence.

7. Features.

Way more men's items come in wrinkle free fabric. I'm a busy person and having less to do in order to look good is an excellent feature of menswear. Have you see how cool men's designer jeans are?

8. Less.

I've never been that into makeup. Now, I can be as minimal as possible in this area and just throw on some goth guyliner when I feel like it. Usually I do a bit more than that, but it no longer feels like I need to in order to be accepted as a professional in society.

9. Black.

As a goth, I love how easy it is to find black clothing items. The colours change more frequently in women's clothing. Often I ended up having to choose from some ugly options.

10. Less decision making is needed.

I can spend less time figuring out what I'm going to wear since more of my wardrobe will match. I can just choose the vibe I want or base it on specific needs of the day. Maybe it's a chill hoodie and jeans day or maybe the day calls for something dapper.

11. Weight fluctuations

It's easier to find clothing that won't become unwearable with the slightest increase or decrease in weight. 

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...