Skip to main content

Transitions

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

I'm in one of those periods of transition in life right now. It's messy and hectic, but I feel more alive than ever. 

I'm assuming a new role at work while finishing up some things for the current one. This is an official thing starting in April, but the person I'm replacing is on vacation beginning this Friday and going to the end of the month, so I'm really starting it already. Today, we did the meeting to discuss what she couldn't get finished in time. I've had some really tiring work days this week with all of this.

Curling is ending on April 16th. I'm sad about this. I never expected to fall in love with a sport that looks boring on the outside! It's helped me get out more in the winter and get back to being active. Softball registration is almost here, so I am aiming to continue being active for the warm months though it'll be more difficult between seasonal allergies and my body not always being the best at temperature control. I'm a fan of crossing bridges as I come to them though. I just received a workout bench that I'm excited to get using. I hate working out on the ground. It comes with resistance bands and I'll be able to do most exercises. And it folds up, which is important in Tiny Condo Land.

This weekend, I'm looking forward to a planned outing to see John Carpenter's The Thing at The Mayfair with my scriptwriter friends. I'm also looking forward to a film workshop, curling, and dinner with my martial arts friends for one of their birthdays.

I did some ultra-light work on Sparker the past two mornings and I'm really happy to be getting back to it. It was partly figuring out what I had last done as I have so many versions of it in my head these days. I've also been working on a screenplay. It's a horror comedy and the trouble with writing it is that I keep laughing.

I'll be taking a decluttering break for some time while a friend visits in a week and a half. She's coming to write a professional exam in nursing then we'll have fun on the town.

And I'm doing some mortgage magic. I'm waiting to hear more about it hopefully tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...