Skip to main content

Did All This Really Happen In One Week?

And we're back to Monday. I did some work then stepped out for fillings in the right side of my mouth. It had been very sensitive to drink anything. I preemptively took some Aleve, which helped reduce some of the pain. Especially for when the dentist opted to not freeze my main nerve in order to allow me to speak and such after the fillings. There were about 6 seconds of pain when she drilled, which felt like an eternity. My superintendent was concerned when he saw me in the lobby as I looked rather like I had had a stroke because half of my face was a bit droopy.  I assured him I was good. Unexpectedly, a friend reached out about the Ottawa Pixies event she was having and I spent the evening in good company debating what intelligence is after we watched a short documentary. I'm really glad she reached out because Facebook's algorithms didn't show it to me despite having that group in my Favourites. Reasons I'm increasingly finding little use in Facebook include that. I've signed up for the Eventbrite emails for the group.

I was a bit tired on Tuesday as I was a little wired and didn't get to sleep right away after Monday's outing. After we had a productive meeting at work, I started some of my weekend prep. It was more work followed by an eye exam. I tried a new location out because my previous one wasn't getting back to me. Most people don't realize my current glasses are old. I got them just before the pandemic, so not a lot of people had seen me in them. I'm looking forward to having new ones in a couple of weeks. I'll wear the old ones at softball to keep the new ones intact. I'll be going back later for contacts as I can't curl in glasses or goggles. My new glasses are bifocals. It was a better choice to go with those rather than progressives because peripheral vision doesn't exist in progressives. Sports and martial arts don't go well with no peripheral vision! I need the bifocals for reading now. The good news is that by putting drops in my eyes several times a day, I've warded off eye damage!

Wednesday was pretty low key. After work, I got a couple of things to alter my softball jersey with and I watched the new Fast & the Furious movie. I feel like I liked and hated it. Like, it's just ridiculous at this point and needs to stop, but I liked that it seemed to know that about itself.


More work on Thursday. I got the alterations done on my jersey and took my old bed frame to donation before watching the Stanley Cup game. I was glad Vegas won because Florida kept choosing to fight. Maybe if they would've channeled their frustration into playing hockey, they would've done better.

Friday was softball. We played the Peaches. The team that is captained by the brother of one of my co-captains. We lost. Our current record is two ties and two losses. I tried to stop at Walmart on my way home for some snacks to bring to the tournament day to share, but the one near me suddenly decided to close an hour earlier. The staff was in the doorway with their arms crossed looking ready for a fight. The sign now says 10:00 PM. One teen was outside complaining about it. I just went home as there was nothing else to do but hope that I could get to the grocery store in the morning before my ride picked me up or see if my ride could make a quick stop anywhere. My initial attempt failed. The traffic lights were out and the grocery store is on the same electrical grid. So I went to the gas station and finally found snacks though they don't sell Sweet Chili Doritos in large bags. It was one of those things that should've been easy that was full of obstacles.

Saturday was a roller coaster ride of emotions for tournament day. I was running on little sleep and I generally can't eat a lot in the morning before 10. Our first game was at 10:30. And it was against someone who I recently learned had lied to me and some other people repeatedly for months. Being tired, hangry, and pissed off for being used in a scheme I never would've chosen to be involved in were not a good mix for batting well. Add my glasses slipping down my face and how distracting wearing a hat can apparently be and I hit nothing. But my team wasn't hitting their best in that game either. Anyway, I had vague words with that person because I had to let them know I was not fucking happy with them. The specifics were done through text as I loathe causing scenes. I was also annoyed by their suggestion to take me out batting because their only experience seeing me play was literally then! I usually hit the ball and have since I was a child. Anyway, I don't love confrontation, but all of that was a lot and I just couldn't pretend like nothing was wrong.

Game 2 was much better. I wasn't hungry anymore and we were all more awake. We got our first win of the season. I had been a little anxious for this one as there's someone on that team that I'm fond of and I had had such a bad start to the day. I missed the chance to chat with her when I went to help an injured teammate get celebratory libations. All hope is not lost though and that's all I'm saying for now 😊

We had a bit of a longer break before the third and final game. It was against the current best team in the league and we didn't score at all. But three games in we were tired and sore, so hopefully we'll do better the next time that we play them.

My ride and I lost the team after, got lost walking on Preston, and then had some food with our co-captain's brother who's on another team. Not the ending I pictured to the day, but it was a quieter after game experience and this introvert didn't mind that.

Sunday's plans were watching Danielle Allard on Twitch before Dino Sunday, which was slotted to be a Minecraft Parking Lot Fight. I wasn't as sore as I expected I would be, so I began rearranging my bedroom as that was much needed after the changes to my laundry situation. I really needed to move my dresser and my workout bench for better flow. There is a little more to rearrange in there, but that change improved things quite a lot. I didn't end up getting to the Minecraft night as I unexpectedly caught up with family as I had to drive out not far from their place. It was so lovely to see everyone as I hadn't since before the pandemic.  They thought I had moved away! So many of them have grown up so much. And I'm amazed that the kids, who are now teens, remember coming to watch me play roller derby around 2014! What a fantastic ending to a mostly great week 💖

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...