Skip to main content

2023 - Week of June 19-25

Another Monday is done. I felt pretty scatter-brained today though I did get some things done like my blog post. The weekend caught up to me and I was quite tired though. I saw the perfect thing for my streaming area and I'm thankful my brother could get it for me. It will really help me clean the area up without having to build something though I'll want to sand and paint it. I spent some of the day working on a new project that I will launch soon: Rae's Record. What is that? See the end of this post for details.*

Tuesday was an in-office day and the day I received my ADHD diagnosis*. As I suspected, I have the primarily Inattentive type of ADHD. That's the one involving daydreaming rather than running around or fidgetting. I also have some learning issues that make things difficult for me. I'm still parsing all of it and there is a lot to learn. After that therapy appointment was done, I hung out with my goth friends for dinner and chatting.

Wednesday was work followed by picking up my new glasses and then Fringe Festival. It had been a while since I had last seen a play and it was nice to get out with my screenwriting alumni friends. The play covered some really tough content: incels. And it was presented in the format of a livestream on stage. As a streamer and a non-binary female (yes, you can be both), there were many times I felt the play was brilliant and hard. It brought up some things from my own dating past that were not pleasant experiences. After this, we went to Level One for a drink. We had planned to also play boardgames, but it didn't end up happening.

Thursday was work, Dani's stream, then my own stream. For a bit, I had been feeling like I might not want to continue streaming. I don't have a lot of visitors and it does take up time during the week that I could be using for dating or for chasing my other goals. But when Thursday came, I was excited to continue streaming Rise of the Tomb Raider. Time will tell on how much longer I do it for, but I'm not ready to give it up just yet.

Friday was a very difficult day at work. I was feeling quite overwhelmed as it's taking me a lot of time to grasp some of my new tasks due to having ADHD. At least I know why, so there are steps I'm taking to handle it. I was also stressed because my trainer is out of the country until next week. I got her to break down all the steps for the task, which helped me immensely! All that combined with the recommendations from my therapist, I decided to change my in-office day to get the extra support I need on the harder items. I was super burned out and felt like I didn't get much done though. Softball couldn't come fast enough. It was a warm summer day, so sweat poured down my back during the warm up, but we had one of our best games yet. Our defense is improving and we won by a fairly large margin. I watched another team finish up their game and chatted with friends before heading to the bar after for a little bit. Then I hung out with my goth friends for a special evening.

I was pretty tired on Saturday, but I did a little bit of work to catch up on the tasks I couldn't manage on Friday. At least until the network decided it wanted the weekend to chill. My Saturday evening plans included a nap and watching a live derby bout in person at Brewer Arena. I never got to the nap, but the derby was fun. I didn't make it through the Pride Scrimmage as the arena was too hot and I hadn't eaten enough, so a headache had me needing to go home back to the air conditioning and the food. But it was so good to get out and see a derby bout again. I caught up with one friend and messaged another after I left, so we could make plans to catch up eventually. There was a unicorn in the crowd:


My Sunday plans were morning errands and then Minecraft. The one server I play on was having an all day build day where we made an amusement park resort area. My piece is a fairly large roller coaster. A friend helped on the sweet jump part where there is track purposely missing.

*More on this in my new monthly newsletter, Rae's Record.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...