Skip to main content

2023 - Week of July 3 to July 9

Monday was a stat holiday since Canada Day happened on the weekend. I mainly spent it catching up around the house while watching Deadloch and cross-stitching. If you haven't seen it, it's set in Tasmania, features a lesbian detective with an obnoxious partner who provides much of the comedic elements. They attempt to solve homicides together. There are so many hilarious lines like, "Serial killers love routines." To which Sven responds, "Like babies." I also filled out the form for yoga at work and fit in some keytar practice.

Tuesday was sending the budget out and catching up around the house and at work before visiting with my goth friends. I was invited to the virtual yoga sessions at work and looked forward to that as I made space for it in my home. I also worked on my passport application. It should have been a renewal, but I was just outside of the expiry window for that. My old one was in my married name and I think it'll be nice for that to have a fresh start anyway. I was thankful to be with friends when I learned a friend passed away. He was a kind, generous, and funny dude. Ottawa is the poorer without him.

Wednesday was hard partly due to how I was feeling. Also, there were some connection issues at work and other issues preventing me from doing a lot. I'm waiting on other people for a lot of things right now. I suppose that was good for a breather given how sad I was feeling. The end of the day had me learn how to insert and remove contact lenses. My eyes were quite sore and tired after, but I was largely successful. My hopes of seeing better for sports and having options to occasionally leave my glasses at home for events may actually work out.

Thursday began with dedicating a space for yoga, which I would be having at noon. Cleaning early in the morning had me a bit nauseas. This was partly due to how hot it had become overnight. A few days back it was on the cool side, so I had turned down my air conditioner. It was definitely time to turn it back up! Nothing helped me get back to my normal though and I felt ill for much of the day. Thankfully, this doesn't happen too often, but when it does, it's like I have a fever yet my temperature is fine according to the thermometer. I'll be having cold chills too, yet I don't have a cold or anything. What helped me feel better? A hot bath. On a very high humidex day. I know it makes no sense, but at least I was feeling better. My eyes were sore the whole day from the contacts, so it looks like I'll be needing a different plan.

I was a little nervous having softball in the heat on Friday given how Thursday had gone, but I was feeling a lot better. I spent time hydrating in the hours before the game. During the game, I had a moment, but luckily my captains had brought a cooler and I could grab a piece of ice to fix myself. Also on Friday, I officially launched my newsletter. I almost forgot to. I did all this work on it and almost forgot to ensure it was actually announced instead of softly announced.

Saturday was a BBQ with my goth friends in Vincent Massey Park. We eventually got the food situation in order and it was a good time. At least until we tried to leave. Tap was not working and a lot of people were not figuring out they needed to insert their cards to pay and be able to exit. Eventually, a parks employee came and we got waved through the gates, but that was after 30-60 minutes of being stalled in the parking lot. After dropping friends off, I played some Minecraft.

Affairs of State at The Classic Theatre Festival


On Sunday, I was able to catch up with a derby friend who I hadn't talked to much since the pandemic. At least, I hadn't seen them in person. I had won tickets in June for a matinee performance of Affairs of State at the Classic Theatre Festival and took that friend. The play was a sweet little romantic comedy and it was quite fun. The story is one that I think has likely influenced many that have come after it. It was undoubtedly risqué in the late 1940s. We spent some more time together before they dropped me close to The Flats (Lebreton Flats) for Tegan and Sara where I ran into other friends. It was an excellent performance despite technical issues. I loved getting to see them live, especially for Closer. I'd really like to see them in concert rather than at a festival. It would be longer and more intimate. I had watched High School on Prime in the days before the concert. It's based on their early beginnings. I was feeling quite tired, so I didn't stay for anything else.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...