Skip to main content

2023 - Week of My Birthday

Monday

Work: It was an in-office work day and I could hardly focus on anything, so it was a good thing that I had cleared a lot of my inbox on Friday. I did get notes to help me later with my first tender document at least.

Home: I dropped by a shop to replace my 510 CBD set up, which I had lost in the park on the weekend or somewhere else. I really have no idea where it got to. Since I'm allergic to Plaquenil a.k.a. Hydroxychloroquine, my options are limited in managing Sjogren's. I got a cute rainbow one that I like better now that I'm used to it. Being a goth comes with having so many black items that it can be hard to locate them at times.

Tuesday

Work: I could focus quite a lot better, but most items are waiting on someone else. I started making changes to the tender document, but had to fight with the template some. I eventually figured out that I had to force the numbering to make it do what was needed.

Home: In the evening, I visited friends. This was partly to get my passport documents signed, but also to see how they were doing. One of their kiddos thought it was pretty cool that I could turn his snake puzzle toy into a whatever-this-thing-is called:


It was so good seeing them. It had been a while. We used to get together a lot more.

I saw three lightning bolts at once near Billings Bridge while I drove home!

Wednesday

Work: I was able to focus on the tendering document I'm preparing. It wasn't a busy day, which was nice given that I haven't had much time to breathe in recent months.

Home: For my birthday this year, I decided to do a full wheel tarot spread. I also wrote myself a letter to be read when I'm 50. I played with my melodica. I'm trying to figure it out for an upcoming Queer Jam. I was going to bring my ukulele to it, but I don't really enjoy playing stringed instruments and I just want to focus on keyboards and synths. I picked up some groceries and pho. Dinner was pho while watching the original 1954 Godzilla on Crave. I'm glad I finally saw the original. I plan to watch all of them in the coming weeks.


Thursday

Work: I had more things to do at work, though not a lot more. It was hard to focus with the threat of tornados about, but I'm nearing completion of my first tender document.

Home: I made use of the visual timer I got myself on Prime day. I had been wanting one, but hadn't got around to it. Anyway, this let me squeeze some editing in before streaming without getting so caught up that I would forget to stream. I'm still working through Rise of the Tomb Raider and loving it.

Friday

Work: Had a really good chat with a colleague. So many people I work with are awesome humans and are so helpful as mentors. I feel truly fortunate to work where I do even when the work itself isn't all that exciting.

Home: Noon came quickly and I worked on this blog some. I was looking forward to softball despite how warm it was going to be. And it was pretty warm at the start until we found some shade to hide in. I played catcher, which I enjoy a lot. People told me I did a good hit. The thing about softball is that you don't get to see when you do a good hit because you're busy running to first base. You have to trust other people. I don't trust easily, but I have a wonderful team and so many of the people in my ball league are really kind. That helps.

Saturday

I went out with friends for my birthday for dinner and Paint Nite. There was the right level of drunken fun had. Someone had sat children near us, which may not have been the best call as we had some very adult conversations in hopefully the vaguest of ways to avoid corrupting them. Despite my pleas for no gifts, I was given the coolest curling mug:


Sunday

In the morning, I watched the recording of the celebration of life for the friend lost earlier in the month. Tears were shed as I listened to others speak about how truly wonderful of a human he was. And he was. It hurts so much that he had so little time here while awful people get to continue being awful.

I dipped in and out of Dino Club on Twitch as I just wasn't feeling up to the level of chaos. I visited another friend's stream for a bit and then I just took a break altogether. I returned in time to discover that the night's dinner was pizza, which I had everything on hand for. It was a bit warm and I was a bit headachy, but I did some chores, some planning, and some gaming.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...