Skip to main content

2023 - Weeks 33 and 34



Since Week 32 was a vacation week where I just spent time with family and did very low key things like thrifting, I'm skipping that one.

Week 33 started with a vacation day to recover from the vacation.

Since then, I've been working hard on my decluttering efforts. I should be writing, but I'm finally making progress in this other area that has been such a pain point for me. 

I began reorganizing my living room. First, I moved my rowing machine into my bedroom next to where I keep all my sporty items. Once that was out of the living room, I could better see the rest of the room, what needed to be moved around, and I could move it around, so I did.

I moved my sewing desk near my balcony door, which was swapped with the cabinet that was there before. That cabinet is closer to my TV area, which makes great sense since my movies and liquor are in and on it.

I moved my IKEA PS unit that holds my music related items like small instruments, sheet music, and cables. I was using it as a separation between my office and my living room, but I've been needing better access to my electronic piano for learning and creating. I finally bought the second tier for my keyboard stand and I'm hoping my little midi controller (AKAI MPK Mini) can live there. I've been spending a lot of time investigating musical genres as I'm trying to figure out where I want to prioritize my time.

There's still a lot to do to clean it up fully, but having the furniture in the same general area of The Tiny Condo, is going to be a wonderful change that will help me accomplish my artistic goals.

I recently got a larger USB hub and I'm hoping that lets me add another camera for streaming purposes and then I can do other things like sewing, painting, and eventually music on stream. I always intended to be a variety streamer rather than a game streamer. I'm sad about how long it has taken to get to this point, but I'm really looking forward to what comes next.

This little pre-fall cleanup is giving me the flexible space I've been wanting and I couldn't be happier about it.

I've also been planning out my fall schedule. I might have an activity most days as I'm truly hoping to get into a two days per week tai chi class near my house and I'll have curling two days per week along with streaming. The dojo doesn't seem to pick up their phone, so I'm just going to show up before the class next week. A bonus is that it's in an area of town that is close to where I enjoy shopping more, so I might be able to better plan some things out like meals.

Softball was rained out on the 18th, but I had a lovely time socializing with my ball team at a BBQ. We don't get a lot of time to chat at the games and the bar can be quite packed and loud after, so it was really great. One of the things that I loved the most was talking about our experiences in sport and with this team. There were many echos of it being so good for one's confidence and that our team is a wonderfully caring group that is always trying to improve. I couldn't have been placed on a better team regardless of where we are in the standings.

We had two games this weekend. The sad fact was that we hadn't gotten to really play since July 14th with all the weather events and holiday weekends, so I had little hope we would get to since rain was in the forecast again. We lost the first by 1 point. We lost the second by a little more, but it began with us already down by 7 points.

The following day, I had a movie outing planned with a friend, a book discussion for Nights at the Round Table that was previously postponed, and Hadestown. My friend had to postpone the movie, so I was able to attend Drag and Balls. I'm glad I did. I was able to catch up with an old derby friend and see several friends from other teams, as well as, some curling friends.

The book discussion went as well as it could given that we both found the book to be beautifully written yet largely forgettable. I'll post the link when it's available.

Check out my review on Hadestown here.

The Capital Pride Parade capped off the weekend and I both loved that and needed rest! As for the parade itself, I had a wonderful time with friends from various groups and the overwhelming support for the community was heartwarming. Though it wasn't entirely free of hateful people like far right activists or religious extremists who felt the need to try and ruin a day of love, those people were thankfully rare and in small numbers.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...