Skip to main content

2024 - Week 32

Arts & Crafts

I've started working on the cape during TV time instead of playing Minecraft. It's the best idea I had for finishing it on time. But I hit a roadblock. The clips I often use for holding two pieces of fabric together instead of pins couldn't handle a silkier textile. I tried a wooden clothes pin, but it frayed the silky fabric slightly. The plastic clothes pin didn't damage the fabric, but it was so big, it was impracticle. Despite having come across my pins recently; I couldn't remember where I had put them. Frustrated, I put it down for a moment. Then, I realized that I did have something I could try:


An unusual use for bobby pins, but they seemed to do the trick. Reasons why I put resourceful on my resume...

But then I was having trouble with the thread knotting up and getting stuck. A break was needed to calm down.

I brought it with me to North Bay, but I felt too sleepy to work on it most days.

Decluttering & Minimalism

My goal for this week was to reorganize my bookshelves as I had new books that needed to be put away.

I brought some items to donation including a little desk that was constantly falling over and pissing me off. Actually, I put that under the tree behind our building. That's where I got it a couple of years ago. This is in preparation for giving me a larger, foldable extra table. I fell in love with a table from Michael's and hoped to get a gift card towards it from my family for my birthday. And I did along with some cash.

Gaming & Streaming 

In Minecraft this week, I levelled a giant area in preparation for building a castle. I wasn't sure what I would use the castle for, but I wanted to build one that looked similar to one of my clan's castles. I also worked on my storage system, but did not finish it.

I went to the moon and died multiple times, which put me in a bad mood as I lost all my gear. Hopefully, we can get it back soon.

Goal Setting & Tracking 

Arts & Crafts: Do. The. Cape. (✔️)
Decluttering & Minimalism: Reorg the bookshelf. (✖️)
Gaming & Streaming: Work on the storage system. (✔️)
Lifestyle & Sports: Zumba and softball. (✖️)
Music & Songwriting: Practice ukulele. (✔️)
Reading & Writing: Write 5 pages on the screenplay. (✖️)

Lifestyle & Sports 

Monday was a pretty quiet day. I was working, but a lot of people had taken it off.

Tuesday held a massage and I hoped to attempt key repair again. I also needed to swap my building key for a building fob because we've gone digital. I have little faith it will work in the winter, but time will tell on that one.

Is anyone else exhausted with all the point programs? Metro is switching to Moi. Thing is, why can't they offer to trade in the Air Miles I spent forever collecting with them? I wouldn't be as annoyed if I didn't just get screwed over. 

Wednesday was the monthly women's pinball night. My friends and I didn't last that long this time. That's how it goes sometimes. It was fun anyways.

Thursday was Zumba and I bailed on it. I find it something to do more than something I love to do. In the fall, I'm hoping to do tap. I've wanted to do it forever, so I think it's time. Anyway, I had other things to work on like my costume and prepping for a trip to see family. I also noticed that having some time off has been good for my sore foot. Self care was in order. Younger me would never miss a day of something like this because I paid for it. But taking care of my physical and mental health is way more important than showing up to a class I don't really enjoy. 

Friday was supposed to be softball, but it was doubtful that it would happen given the rainfall warning we were under. We're a rain-or-shine league, but the umps call it if it gets dangerous. Visibility, lightning, and physical hazards are not worth it. For my team, we were hoping to play because the team we were up against was the only team we had lost to and the number of injuries was a big factor. We were looking for redemption. By 2:00 PM, the city cancelled all fields, so redemption was not to be had.

What did I fill the time with? Some Minecraft, Star Trek, and the last of my packing.

On Saturday, I hit the road to visit family. I left at the right time, so it was a pretty smooth ride the whole way.

Sunday was a walk with a friend before my brother's birthday dinner.

Movies & Television

I'm working my way through Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and I just watched Season 3 episodes 11 and 12. Man, does it ever feel prophetic. It's 2024 and so many people are suffering while so many others don't see how easily they could be in their shoes. It was largely a case of indifference in the show, but it often feels darker than that in reality. Pop into the comments section on nearly any social media post and a lot of hate will be on display. Will we ever move beyond this? Sorry for the downer, but it hit me right in the heart.

Music & Songwriting 

It's not so bad that it's back to ukulele. I do love my tenor. It's a beautiful instrument. It's in C, so any of the music books I have that are in C are good for me to work with. I'm not giving up on fiddle, but it's a very loud instrument to play in a condo.

Reading & Writing

The thing that is hard with this screenplay right now is probably that I don't have a fully fleshed out B plot and I'm approaching the point where I have to begin to write it. I have a vague idea, but a number of key pieces are missing.


Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...