Skip to main content

2024 - Week 37

Arts & Crafts 

I began a macrame leaf project for fun. It didn't work out. The size of the string I have is just not thick enough. I'll get some proper macrame cord next pay.

Decluttering & Minimalism 

There are times I would love to be just a couple of inches taller. I changed the hanging light above the TV in my living room to a flower shaped one like the one I have elsewhere in the room. It was easy enough to hang up after assembly, but my arms were just a couple inches short to be able to secure the cord. I had to move the entire TV console just to do that little bit. And, of course, the nail kept falling to the ground. No wonder small tasks exhaust me!


On Wednesday, I got the notification that my storage coffee table was out for delivery. Due to dizziness, I didn't expect that I would get it put together though I really wanted to. I decided to see how I felt after dinner. I was able to start it and I finshed it on Thursday.



I feel like it's a perfect place for holding the materials for the crafts I tend to do while watching TV.

Gaming & Streaming 

I had planned to attend a gaming night at the Royal Oak this week, but felt dizzy that day shortly before I had to drive there. I was bummed about it because I don't see those particular friends that often, but sometimes one must listen to their body.

My regular weekly game night wouldn't be happening this week either due to two of us having softball playoffs.

Goal Setting & Tracking 

Arts & Crafts: Try macrame - Mostly a fail as I learned knots, but didn't produce a usable item. (25%)
Decluttering & Minimalism: Assemble a storage coffee table. (100%)
Gaming & Streaming: Ottawa Pixies night. (sick)
Lifestyle & Sports: Play many games of softball [or 6]. (100%)
Music & Songwriting: Listen to new artists. (100%)
Reading & Writing: Finish reading a friend's book. (100%)

Lifestyle & Sports 

The first two games with Q2 happened on Thursday. My left shin was mutinous and whenever I tried to move quickly, I regretted it. It's been unhappy since last Thursday then I ran on it that Friday for the bulk of two games. I had runners for the two games. I missed several foul ticks and I am super annoyed about it.

My other team, Peaches, began playoffs on Saturday. Because we finished the regular season in second place, we didn't have to play on Friday. Instead, we had a team dinner with pasta to prepare. It was a great evening. On Saturday, we lost our first morning game. The sun made it hard for me to see what was going on for much of the time and it was early. After that, we went for brunch before returning to Riverain Park for a redo on the league photos. Game two began at 4PM and we won that one.

Day two of playoffs brought us an early morning win followed by an elimination. We lost by three points and I spent the remainder of Sunday watching others play while socializing.

I later enjoyed some pizza and Hackers Day before going to bed early.

Music & Songwriting 

Currently, I'm doing a lot of listening as I attempt to learn things.

Reading & Writing

I've had a friend's short story/essay collection of Margaret Atwood's for awhile now. It was long passed time for me to get done with it. I'm not a fan of reading essays, so I ended up skipping over those to the short stories at the end of the book and those were enjoyable.

Given all the softball this week, I didn't put pressure on myself to write anything. 

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...