Skip to main content

Three Years.


My mom wasn't perfect. 

For much of my life, she was a house wife. She was pretty bad at household chores. I don't think they were things she enjoyed. But we always had our basic needs met. She also always made sure the bills were paid.

Prior to that, mom had been a social worker. They lived in Toronto. This was long before I was born.

During my childhood, mom volunteered at a Salvation Army. I used to love hiding in the racks. Yeah, I know about their stance on homosexuality.

When I was in high school, she took a delivery job. I'd go with her sometimes. One time, our van broke. We were on the military base that particular time. The person we had brought the restaurant membership to let us hang out while we waited for help. It always seemed like a strange job to me, but I'd often do the drop with the person because I had the energy to burn. It also felt good to help out.

She loved finding us things at the thrift store or some yard sale. She was always thinking about us and wanting to make sure we were OK.

And mom was pretty good at other things. Like driving me to and from rehearsals. She also came to band, choir, or theatre performances and graduations when I told her about them. 

Like me, mom often had her nose in a book. I could read before I ever set foot in a school. I credit her for my love of reading. It's quite likely that if I didn't fall in love with books, I wouldn't be a writer today.

We all miss her.

None of us truly know what happens after our time on the third rock. If there is somewhere else after this, I hope mom is happy there.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...