Skip to main content

Ottawa Comiccon 2015 - Day 2

For some reason, my brain decided 5:30 A.M. was the time to be awake today. Despite the horridness of that, I only nodded off a couple of times.

The first panel I went to was about Doctor Who costumes and props. I learned that the Daleks that run around at Comiccon and Geek Market are actually controlled by people who sit inside of them. For some reason, I thought they were remote controlled.

I did my shopping. I bought my mom two romance novels for Mother's Day. They're written by an Ottawa area author named Aurelia Osborne who is published through Renaissance Press. I got myself something for my wall also. It's a tree of life wall hanging done in metal.

I misplaced my car. I parked near the fry truck, but didn't remember I parked there, so I went out the wrong doors when I went to drop off my purchases rather than lugging things around.

Next I went to a panel on pushing boundaries in comics. A lot of what was said I could identify with as a writer. The challenges faced with editing sound about the same. Trying to find the perfect drawn lines or the perfect words are equally arduous and sanity testing.

The panel on making short films was interesting. It gave me an idea that I'm not going to talk about yet. I'm just going to tease. It involves me possibly starting a relationship with YouTube...

There was a neat panel on KobraCast, which is a type of thermoplastic that looks similar to plaster of paris, without the mess. It looked quite easy to work with.

I hung out with a writer friend and chatted about promoting one's book. He's pretty good at selling it. I've been afraid that I would get my book done and hate trying to sell it because I'm not a pushy person. I'm not an in-your-face type. I'm a quirky, often introverted, writer. What I learned in watching him was that the key to selling novels is a little different than selling other things. Pretty much, just talk about the story. People become interested in the passion the author displays and that's what sells it. Also, it's good to have a general repeatable spiel.

Then there was a panel on Steampunk Gadgets. I prefer the options where I don't have to become an electrician in order to make a cool costume as I'm far to busy to learn every skill in the world at the present moment.

The Masquerade always makes me want to Cosplay something. I mean really Cosplay, not just put a costume on. Some year I want to actually enter the contest. The juniors were adorable. The adults had a wide variety of skill.

My portable phone charger charged my phone briefly, then it seemed like it sucked up my phone's remaining battery life. Not terribly useful. I guess I'll be saving for one of those.

I did a take on Buffy the Vampire Slayer today:

Buffy

I still feel like I'm wearing the wig.

Well the early morning is getting to me. Time to crash for the night.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...