Skip to main content

Merry Monday - Demos, Movies, and Early Birthday Fun

[caption id="attachment_4711" align="alignright" width="500"]merry_monday Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

This weekend was fairly packed. Friday brought a lovely thunderstorm. I spent the early part of the weekend custom-painting my sword bag and watching the Harry Potter movies since it was rainy. I've been a little down lately and those movies always make me feel better. I'll post a pic of the bag once it's done. I'm really excited about it!

On Saturday, I dragged my butt out of my house to get some things to bake myself a gluten free birthday cake. I got the boxed kind because I've had too many bad experiences with gluten free baking in recent years and wanted something edible. The golden cake was just OK for me. Next time I'll try a different brand, I think. I was bringing the cake to a friend's on Sunday anyway and didn't feel like experimenting on them. Maybe next time, though.

Oh, tomorrow is my birthday. The big 3-5. It's been a pretty good year. Perhaps this is the age I will remain because I'm supposed to start lying about that sometime, right?

Yes, I brought my own birthday cake to a friend's. It was our monthly B-Movie Club event and just happened to be right near my birthday. I wanted cake but didn't want to eat a whole one myself. I've gained a slight bit of weight since I've been able to reintegrate a lot of foods back into my life. Too much pizza and ice cream lately. Man, I missed cheese. We watched 90210 Shark Attack. It was pretty awful. They needed to show every step each actor took, the dialogue was bad and delivered worse, and the plot was also predictable. But that's the fun of B-Movies.

Oh and I should've known there was no point in trying to blow out candles. I failed pretty well at it during lung function testing earlier this year.

On Sunday, before movie club, my dojo did a demonstration of the martial arts we practice at the 2016 Japanese Festival. I was a little nervous as I was doing more than I normally do for this annual event.

tiny_samurai

I've also been taken in by Pokémon Go. I think someone else was playing at lunch today judging by our cell phone usage. We exchanged knowing glances. Gotta catch 'em all.

I'll talk about Pokémon Go some more, later this week. Until then, don't drive and battle.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...