Skip to main content

Merry Monday - Nerves


What happens when you let your nerves get the best of you? 

My weekend didn't go the way I had hoped. I choked like a Maple Leaf during the playoffs and failed my grading. Considering that I felt like I did my worst example of iaido, I agree that I shouldn't have passed. That doesn't mean I'm not upset. I'm pretty damn sad about it.

What happened?

Leading up to grading I:

  • I caught my big toe on a computer cable, which tripped me and hurt my toe.

  • Weeks of fighting with acne as if I'm a damn teenager.

  • I dropped a plate into my sink, which broke itself and a bowl.

  • I cut my finger with a steak knife.

  • I got very little sleep the day before travelling.

  • I had car troubles.

  • I forgot to put my chicken bacon in the fridge at my friend's place, so breakfast was different than planned.

  • I got lost in the building more than once. I should've read the signs better.


Pre-Grading Seminar

  • On nearly every kata they gave us corrections and I felt overwhelmed.

  • I was super tense.


Grading

  • While in line, my feet began to fall asleep. Also, I really had to go to the washroom, despite having gone several times before.

  • I was also crampy, because Mother Nature always loves to time her visits around iaido events for me. TMI, I know.

  • My big toe was quite sore.

  • My mind became jumbled up due to the corrections I received and I felt confused and unsure of myself. I couldn't do basic things properly anymore and kata 1 looked like hell as a result.

  • I had pants issues on the second kata.

  • It also looks like I rushed through the rest.


After Grading

  • I was pretty sure I had failed. I didn't feel like I had done my best.

  • As I searched for my number, I was initially confused when I didn't see it because I didn't really want to believe I had failed. Who does?

  • There were tears.

  • Lots of hugs from friends, some of who disagreed with the result, were helpful. I love you guys for having my back! Sorry for the above jab at your hockey team ;)

  • Then there was a light drowning of the sorrows and TV watching.



    What's Next?

    • Keiko, keiko, keiko (practice)

    • Core strengthening

    • Posture work

    • Learning to deal with sport performance anxiety


    Thoughts

    I find it funny that I can get so nervous in grading while being able to stay calm in real danger-filled situations. If anyone has tips for not turning into a shaking meat sack, please share them.

    I think in the future it would be good for me to avoid the pre-grading seminar. There was so much thrown at us that it shook my confidence and I got confused. I think this will help with my nerves. I feel like it's far better to have a good breakfast and be well rested.

    Had I performed how I've been in class lately, I would've passed. I just didn't have it during those 6 minutes. 

    There haven't been a lot of times in life where I've failed at something. One math test in high school and the first time I went for my G license are the only things I can think of. It always feels better to pass, of course, but failure teaches much more. Some of the most successful people have failed along the way. I think it's important to keep trying. One doesn't succeed by giving up. This is where my stubbornness is an asset. 

    Failing feels pretty awful, but it's not the end of the world. And it won't be the end of me. My spirit is a little bruised, but I don't break easy.

    In fact, I love iaido, in part, because of how much it challenges me. I've not typically been a detail oriented person. I'm more of a big picture type. Iaido forces me to improve in other areas. 

    My posture still needs work, and so do a few other things. I have lots of time to fix things before the next time.

    Plus, it'll be good to know how to use a sword in case of a zombie apocalypse ;)

    Ciao,

    R~

    Popular posts from this blog

    2020 Vision

    Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

    Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

    [caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

    Change is in the Air

    I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...