Skip to main content

Fortifying Friday - A Tiny Bit of Breathing Room

[caption id="attachment_4712" align="alignright" width="300"]tgif Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

French

If you asked me last week, I would have said it was doubtful I would finish my online French hours in time. I finished my last two hours tonight! The oral exam is this Monday. The written exam is next Monday.

Iaido

Now I can focus on grading Nidan for iaido. I need to reduce how long it's taking me to do etiquette. It needs to be crisper too. And I need to run through my kata several times, perhaps by picking out numbers from a hat. I don't know what kata they are going to give me. I'm worried I'll forget the numbers and then do the wrong ones and fail.

Writing

I can finally work on The Blood Waitress Club. This story now features witch/vampire/insect demons that play roller derby. I'm collecting ideas for who they may play against. Some of my research includes rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer as I'm looking for different kinds of demons. I want a ragtag bunch of misfits. I haven't decided who should win, only what the stakes (or steaks, depending on whose perspective) are. I haven't quite decided if this will be erotica, though I'm leaning toward it. I think I'll let the story take me where it will ;)

Other

I also have some time to clean my house (it's a disaster!)... I'll be glad when December is here because I don't have a whole lot of people to buy gifts for and mostly my family wants movies or TV shows.

 

*** CONSIDER SKIPPING THE REST OF THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FANTASTIC BEASTS MOVIE ***

I'm hoping I'm not putting anything too spoilery, but it's possible my lines of thought may give something away.

|

|

|

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

I've seen it! I enjoyed it. There were some funny bits that may be for an older audience. It was on the dark side. There is a death that may be hard to explain to young children, but may also provide an opportunity for real dialogue with them about how the world isn't always fair and things don't always turn out OK.

Yes, as some of the reviews suggest, we don't get A LOT of character depth in this first movie, but I believe this is on purpose. As a writer, I see the value of doing this. Is it the wisest thing for endearment, perhaps not. We'll have to see what the box office numbers show. I enjoyed the action, and I got enough from the characters that I'm dying to know more. I don't care that it's set outside of London. I think that is wonderful! I love seeing more of the world of magic beyond Hogwarts. I still love Hogwarts, but it's nice to see how other countries might handle something like magical persons and animals.

I have one burning question: If muggles in America, sorry "No-Majs", are not allowed to know anything about the wizards and wizards can't date them... What happens when a magical child is born to a No-Maj couple? Do they take the magical child away from its parents? I hope we'll find out in the years to come :)

Anyway, I'm off to make supper and write about demon bug things that play roller derby!

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...