Skip to main content

Merry Monday - Crunch Week

[caption id="attachment_4711" align="alignleft" width="300"]merry_monday Image created using Bit Strips.[/caption]

I'm heading into crunch week, which started with my first time teaching martial arts and continues with my library writing group, my French oral exam, the last iaido practice before grading, anime club*, a bunch of laundry/ironing/packing, travel, grading, and then my French written exam. And all I feel like doing is relaxing.

*I might not make anime club given the rest of the week.

Iaido

I taught my first martial arts class yesterday. It went OK. It was a good thing I had the book to refer to. I found it helpful when they had questions or specific things to fix. It's really hard to practice at the same time as teaching. I can't focus on both at once, otherwise I do both crappy. Since the other classes were cancelled, I got extra practice time in with the other student that is grading next weekend. We have one more class before the big day. Hopefully, the weather isn't too bad for driving from the GOGA to the GTA.

I can't wait to see all my iaido buddies!

French

My oral French exam is tonight. Ten minutes to carry on a conversation. In English, this would be easy. In French, there's still a hell of a lot of words that I don't know. Also, my dictation skills have gotten worse as I've learned more words because I know several that sound similar or the same. At least the classes are less than $50 if I should happen to need to repeat a level.

Writing

I've added 6,000 words to my current WIP, The Blood Waitress Club. I feel like I might want to hash out a sticky note plot to be sure I have a clue of what my book is about. With packing and such, I doubt I'll get a ton done on it this week. My NaNoWriMo attempt will be bleeding into December. At least I'm making progress with the story.

I need to finish the edits on The Page and The Magician and then I think I might search for an agent that represents erotica.

Renos

My drawers are stalled. Hopefully, I'll be able to get them fixed soon.

I got a space saver thing for my bathroom to get my junk off of the counter. My toilet is extra tall (not my choice, obviously), so I need to raise the cabinet off of the floor to make it work. Stalled again.

Allergies

There are more GF options almost everyday and I get so excited when I discover them! Somehow, I missed when VH sauces went GF. This is HUGE! I loved the cherry sauce with chicken balls :)

Well, time to work and get to the rest of it.

Ciao,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...