Skip to main content

Thoughtful Thursday - Winter, eh

thoughtfulSo I have a new friend in town from South America. I've been telling him for weeks that it wasn't cold out yet.

Today it was cold out.

It wasn't as cold as it will get around late January or for a good chunk of February, but the wind chill made it -31 Celsius this morning. That's -23.8 for the Fahrenheit folks.

Anyway, I thought a post offering tips to new Canadians and visitors might be needed.

Welcome to Canadian winter. Officially, we're a little more than a week early as the 21st is the day it starts. I'm sure they've noticed our sun is hardly around. That will slowly get better from the 22nd on.

Remember a few weeks ago when you joyfully frolicked in the snow because you hadn't seen it much/ever before? You'll likely be wishing for it to leave like the rest of us unless you fall in love with sports like skiing, snowshoeing, or snowboarding. Personally, I feel ice skating is the best of the options and the Rideau Canal doesn't stay open all winter since it doesn't stay frozen all winter.

Dressing in layers is an important skill to pick up. Fleece and wool are great for one of the layers because they keep you warm even while wet. You want to try to be warm without sweating though. There are some great athletic sweat wicking items for under layers. Long Johns are great and so are thermal weight socks.

Keeping your hands, face, and ears covered is important as frostbite can be severe. Google image search that if you want to have nightmares about your toes or fingers falling off. You should have something on your head because much of your body heat is lost there. Good boots like Sorel are recommended.

The bus is almost always late. Mackenzie King is a great bus stop with heat if you're around Rideau Centre. A number of buses go through there and they have a digital schedule up that's close to accurate. Also, if you take the bus from the North Gloucester area to the college, it's worth ignoring every 95 you see and getting one of the others that goes there as the alternative is always being late for class.

You need snow tires. All-seasons are NOT good enough for winter driving.

A tea light candle can save your life if your car breaks down. The flame in a small space like a car can keep you warm until help arrives.

If you didn't like hot beverages before, you might start.

Dry your hair before catching a bus. I didn't used to in high school and now I wonder how I survived the 30 minute walk with frozen locks.

Electric heating pads that automatically turn off are fantastic.

Hot baths are wonderful things too.

You might want to put plastic on your windows to cut heating costs and stay warm.

Soups, stews, and chili are extra yummy this time of year.

There might be more, but I'm tapped out for the moment.

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...