Skip to main content

Warrior Wednesday - Food and Fitness

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"]sword Image created using Bitmoji[/caption]

A couple of weeks ago, I switched to a low FODMAP diet after having some people horrible reactions to garlic.

Before that, I was having a lot of trouble working out. Every practice had me taking nearly 5 days to recover.

It was ridiculous.

I knew something was wrong, because I used to play roller derby and wasn't having anywhere near the trouble I was having.

I never thought that it could be the result of eating the wrong things for me.

Working out is hard enough. Early on there should be some pain and it should take a day or two to recover fully, but I was feeling like I had been out doing an intense paintball session including army crawls after my regular Sunday class. It had gotten to the point that I couldn't make most Tuesday classes because it hurt too much to walk let alone consider doing my martial art.

I was worried I'd have to give it up.

But it's like night and day after changing my diet.

I'm excited about my art again and looking forward to doing it more.

I'm also super excited for my space gym. I had backed it on Kickstarter before losing my job in July of 2016. At the time, I was freaking out because I couldn't get the money back. Now, I'm looking forward to getting in better shape and I'm hopeful I can finally fully recover from my neck injury. It'll be here any day now. One of the best things about it for me is that many of the machines at gyms don't really fit my petite size well. Especially the ab machines. Another great thing is not having to go to a gym. No extra gym fees and I can work out anywhere. It weighs around 2 lbs, so I can take it with me if I want. It will also fit nicely in my small condo.

I kind of want to see if, now that I know which foods cause me to bloat and increase recovery time, I can get my abs to come out of hiding. I've seen hints of them periodically.

Who knows what the new year will bring?

But first, there is Christmas baking to figure out...

Guid cheerio the nou,
R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...