Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - Are You Willing to Work?

bitmoji_goalsI watched one of those 60-second documentaries on Facebook today during a writing break. It was about a 77-year-old ballet dancer named Mrs. Poole. She talked about how ballet isn't easy, but has to look it. It takes a lot of discipline and it's a lovely feeling to work hard, but enjoy it.

Gee, what else have I heard this about? Writing? Yep. Martial arts? Yep! Music? For sure. It's almost like everything worthwhile in life requires hard work or something.

I'm reading Ed Sheeran's book right now where he says he grew up with virtually no TV or video games and devoted his time to learning the guitar. He sucked at school, but he and his dad went to tons of concerts and he listened to a lot of different artists. He was terrified to do his first ever performance, but it went well, so that encouraged him to continue. Had it went bad, I guess we wouldn't have Ed to listen to now?

It seems like everyone who gets anywhere has to put a lot of work in and has to sacrifice to get where they're going. Ed didn't have a lot of friends growing up and he's kind of busy these days too. There are undoubtedly times he has to be doing something related to his music instead of hanging out with buddies.

Most people can't make those sacrifices. Some have a small circle so they can make time for it all.

A man I dealt with at the bank the other day told me he used to write, but doesn't feel like he has time now. He was working until 4pm and couldn't find time? I'm a writer, a martial artist, a background actor, and an occasional Uber delivery driver. If you want stuff, you can find the time.

What the last handful of years has taught me is that very few people truly support others in their ambitions. It's better to have a small circle of people who truly care than a large one filled with faux friends no matter where you may or may not be headed.

And of course, sometimes there's just not enough time to make time for others when you're job hunting, renovating, writing, and doing martial arts. I haven't even had time to play my guitar much lately, which makes me sad. I've also missed a number of martial arts days and evenings because it's been too hot to practice in a dojo with no a/c. Yesterday, I was a bit dehydrated from working around the house the day before.

Once the heat breaks, I'll be able to push forward on the living room. I'm trying to be sure I'm passed the dehydration before I hit it hard again. It's supposed to cool down tomorrow, which will help. I got the small wall by the door pretty much done, though the cord channel is being difficult. I haven't decided whether or not to paint the door or leave it the grey it is. I'll probably change the handle either way to match all the others in my condo. I keep pushing a little closer to the vision I have in my head. Each step is progress. Right now I'm boxing up the books I'm keeping and getting ready to go through the things I'm not sure about. I know some will be pitched out.

I dreaded decluttering for a long time, but now that I'm doing it, I'm excited. The cleaner it gets, the more alive and happy I feel.

Things are progressing on the job front, though I don't expect to hear much this week. Thursday, I'm supposed to do some background acting for a Christmas movie. Yes, they're filming a Christmas movie in July because it needs to be ready for Christmas. Movie magic makes it possible.

Anyway, time to make a late lunch, then back to work.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...