Skip to main content

Make-It Monday - My First Day

bitmoji_goalsToday I rejoined the office worker lifestyle. It has been two years since I last worked for someone else, so it was quite a big day for me. First days are often a mixed bag emotionally.

Things I felt today:

1. Anxiety: No matter how much I tried to prepare yesterday, there was always something this morning of that didn't go the way it should.

2. Eagerness: I was ready and raring to jump in and get things done.

3. Frustration: Some things weren't quite set up for me yet, so I couldn't do all the things that are part of my role. That's a typical first day thing.

4. Tiredness: I tried taking a brief nap after work, but no go. It's always a challenge to switch from the #writer schedule to a regular one...

5. Happy: The people were really nice and I'm grateful to be part of a wonderful group of people.

6. Sore: I have a little blister on my one heel, but thankfully I was smart enough to pack large bandaids, so it's not nearly as bad as it could be.

7. Relief: It's been awhile since I had a full work day, so I'm happy I was able to survive it.

8. Hope: I'm looking forward to this new chapter and whatever else it brings.

9. Overwhelmed: I learned a lot of things today, but some I couldn't apply or fully understand yet. I bet in a couple of weeks or months it'll be second nature.

10. Hungry: I must go eat all the things.

11. Stressed: I must do laundry and make my lunches for the rest of the week instead of just relaxing tonight. But I can probably do laundry while watching a movie...

12. Unburdened: There is a part of me that feels like everything is going to improve from here on.

Goals Update

Many of my goals are on pause this week while I get used to my new routine. It's just too much otherwise. I'll probably still plug away at some things, but not as intensely as I usually would.

R~

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...