Skip to main content

End of ROW80 2022 Round 1

It's the end of the round again. Despite it being year end at work, I found time each morning to get some editing in and made a lot of progress in a short amount of time compared to previous rounds. I averaged half a chapter each morning that I was able to edit. I plan to continue this method in the new round as year end will be done and I will be fully recovered from the time change. I really hope North America moves toward scrapping time changes soon.

Lately, I've been lining things up for the next round. I have keys lessons (rock piano) set to start in early April. I've started trick scooter lessons. Decluttering will continue though I'd really like to be done by the end of the round, which would be in time for summer. I will also be continuing the drawing course I'm in.


I have size 4 Vans as my scooter instructor recommended proper skate shoes. They were under $60, which may partly be because of their size. Sometimes being small is a good thing! I'm wearing them around the house to help break them in and get used to them. They're very grippy and that's new for me. You can't tell in the picture, but they're hi-tops reinforced with leather, which makes them a bit better for my hypermobile ankles than other sneakers.

Round Results

Bathroom: I just have to fix the door area some and it will be complete. The locking mechanism shouldn't be too bad, but I think I need bondo for the rest as the metal door frame is a bit rough.

Couch: Still to finish, but soon I'll actually have time to. I *might* need a second arm after all though as pillows keep falling off and that's annoying. Maybe I'll try putting them under the couch cover...

Declutter: I think I'm about 2/3 through. There is still stuff to deal with, but some of my current office mess is because I'm waiting on shelving to come in at IKEA. I will be doing a lot in my bedroom next round. I also started some digital decluttering that was long overdue. I would have done this a long time ago, but I didn't have the mental or emotional bandwidth to deal with old relationship photos. I reached out to the Royal Tyrell Dinosaur Museum in Alberta and they sent me a picture of my favourite dinosaur free from the past. My favourite dinosaur is Triceratops. What's yours?


Sparker: I nearly made it halfway through this round of edits. I'm planning a brief round later where I deal with adverbs as I think there is opportunity for improvement with my descriptiveness there. I swear I'll need to document all the things once the book is done, so I have the correct details for future books that may come out of it.

A number of other pursuits were parked and may or may not come back later. French definitely will at some point as I need it, but many other things like Guitar and Ukulele might not as Keys are my music focus for the next while. Skating has been replaced by Scooter. I've archived all the items that pertain to those activities on my Trello board, so only the current goals are there and it feels nice to have just the most important projects and goals listed.

I really do want to start streaming something on Twitch once my office is in the right condition. Though, I suppose I could start with just a picture and leave my camera off for the time being as I know others who don't put their camera on. Maybe I just need to pick a day like Wednesday and start doing it.

Please check out my digital to-do list at: https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...