Skip to main content

Finally Unstuck

I'm feeling pretty fantastic lately. what's changed? Two things. I've reduced my sugar intake and I have a daily nasal spray called Avamys from my allergist. I guess I've been allergic to something in my house? 

I have more energy and focus like I haven't had in years. And this is letting me do more of the things I love, which is just making me feel even more fantastic. I've been editing a bit every day and I am already onto chapter eleven. I'm also working on all my other goals. 

I got really lucky on my casual Beleev scooter the other day. I was riding around on it in the parking lot without issues after I dropped off some food at the food bank nearby. It turns out the handles weren't actually connected to it. Later, one popped out completely in the hallway when I was going much slower. But I also got myself a proper one that was on sale for tricks and I'm excited about that. I'm planning to start lessons in April for this.

Along with switching back to scooter, I'm switching back to piano. In April, I'll also be working on it via lessons, but this time I'm going with School of Rock because I'm beyond tired of getting teachers who insist on classical music. I don't hate classical, but there are only a few pieces that I actually enjoy enough to want to learn them. Eventually, I may join the bandcamp program they have to really learn and improve to the point of being able to really go somewhere with it. This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I'm a bit scared of it all as I haven't played with other people in a very long time, like since high school, but I'm also excited.

Drawing is going OK, I think? It's an interesting experience as I may think something is silly to do, but then the exercises teach me something and I'll get it only by going through it. It's definitely a case of having to remember that I'm a white or yellow belt in this skill and Sensei knows best. There's a #budoislife moment.

I'm continuing my declutter and made significant progress this weekend. I installed a cheap portable closet. This is for my sports equipment and costumes, so my closet can mainly be for clothes. I'm not done putting things into it, but it's really helping me as it lets me set aside the items I know I almost certainly want to keep. This is putting the rest that I need to go through into a more visible state. Of course, it has been a little bit of a step backwards in that I had to move some things back into my living room in order to get there, but that will be fixed soon enough and I'll even be able to improve it beyond where I last got it to. Eventually anyway.

To check out my detailed progress, please see my Trello board: https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...