Skip to main content

2022 Ottawa Pride Week

Overall, Pride was fantastic.

On Friday, I found out this woman I've had a crush on for months now is gay too! And of course I'm silly and didn't ask her out because she was at work... I have some friends who are very serious about their work/home life separation, so that was part of why. Maybe there was a little voice in my head reminding me that it doesn't mean she's into me. Thanks little voice.

Saturday brought my first ever live drag show. There were some acts with a lot of production value. They were doing things one might see at a pop concert. One of my favourites was Pythia, who did this three-breasted alien bit. There was another who did this puppet breaking away from its strings story, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. Ben Dover had some really hot back up dancers.

One of my lingering questions is, "What workout program do drag queens do?" Because damn they were fit!

There were parts on Sunday that weren't fun, like the standing around and waiting. I felt the planning needed improvement. 

It was heartwarming to see the moms offering hugs in the crowd. But it also had me fighting to keep the tears at bay. Since my own mother never got to know this part of me and it's too late for her to, it just hit me hard in the moment.

The afterparty I went to was a great way to cap off the week. I brought my keytar out and we jammed a bit. I feel like I need to find a way to dirty up the sound because a lot of it sounds bright and happy, which doesn't fit with a lot of the music my friend's play. I should try it out with my distortion pedal. I think I need more pedals, but I don't know what ones to get and looking them up doesn't necessarily give me the information I need to even know what ways they might change the sound.

I loved seeing so many happy faces united in a celebration of love.


GOALS

Declutter

Goal 1: Put items up on marketplace. [Moved to August - Started]

Goal 2: Plan next steps in the declutter. [DONE]


Finances

Goal 1: Get the tires changed/stored and the calipers handled on my car. [July - PARTIALLY DONE]

Goal 2: Book an appointment with my advisor to see if there is something I can do like take a small amount of my RRSP to wipe it all out, then get promptly back to contributing. [August]


Fitness

Goal 1: Finish the Paris challenge. [August - DONE]

Goal 2: Sign up for the next challenge. [August - DONE]

Goal 3: Purchase a rowing machine that folds up. [September - DONE]


Music

Goal 1: Continue researching the genre [July-September]

Goal 2: Come up with a practice routine. [August]


Twitch Update

Goal 1: Update the about list with your commands [July - DONE]

Goal 2: Get to Affiliate [?]

Goal 3: Install origami holder [July - DONE]


Writing

Goal 1: Add music to Popcorn Girl [July]

Goal 2: Edit 3+ chapters of Sparker [July-September]


Please check out my digital to-do list: https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...