Skip to main content

Late August Goals Update

When you read, do you say the words in your head? I do. And I never knew that a lot of people don't. I don't understand how to read without subvocalizing. 

Anyway, if you didn't know that, you do now.

I walked a lot while I was on vacation except for those couple days it poured. On Thursday, my scooter's front wheel caught on something and sent me for a tumble. I came out of that with mildly scraped palms, a slightly scraped calve, and a very sore left thumb. I cleaned and bandaged my wounds and then wrapped my left hand in a tensor bandage. It wasn't until today that the base of my thumb showed a bruise. I canceled plans on Saturday because I was too sore to consider dancing.

I've started getting items up on Marketplace, starting with my old dishwasher. I'm putting the cash towards a rowing machine

Instead of LotR, I'm doing a short challenge: The Inca Road. I think LotR will be a fall thing. One thing I really like about these challenges is that they get me learning about different parts of the world. I never knew where Peru was and now I know it's in South America. Not only that, but the trail goes from Ecuador to Argentina. I know a bunch of people from Chile and Argentina from martial arts, so it's neat to learn a little bit more about where they are from.

I think I found my next steps for learning keytar. I ordered a book that focuses on some specific skills after watching a YouTube video on bass guitar. I promise this makes sense and someday I'll explain it.

Near the end of my vacation, I got the idea for a new screenplay. And I'm really excited about it. I started the Save the Cat method and I'm trying to get about 5 pages written each day. If course, that was pretty much impossible for much of this week given work, Pride prep, a colleague's retirement dinner, a visit with friends, and catching up after vacation. I'm 7 pages into the new screenplay. It came to me the night before I was leaving town to come back to Ottawa. This made the trip longer because I kept waking up with more ideas about this story. And this week, it also woke me up again.

That first episode of The Wilds! Such twist!

Come September, I'm planning to reduce my outings, so I can focus more on my goals. Until then, it's Pride Week in Ottawa beginning tomorrow!

GOALS

Declutter
Goal 1: Put items up on marketplace. [Moved to August - Started]
Goal 2: Plan next steps in the declutter. [DONE]

Finances
Goal 1: Get the tires changed/stored and the calipers handled on my car. [July - PARTIALLY DONE]
Goal 2: Book an appointment with my advisor to see if there is something I can do like take a small amount of my RRSP to wipe it all out, then get promptly back to contributing. [August]

Fitness
Goal 1: Finish the Paris challenge. [August - DONE]
Goal 2: Sign up for the next challenge. [August - DONE]
Goal 3: Purchase a rowing machine that folds up. [September]

Music
Goal 1: Continue researching the genre [July-September]
Goal 2: Come up with a practice routine. [August]

Twitch Update
Goal 1: Update the about list with your commands [July - DONE]
Goal 2: Get to Affiliate [?]
Goal 3: Install origami holder [July - DONE]

Writing
Goal 1: Add music to Popcorn Girl [July]
Goal 2: Edit 3+ chapters of Sparker [July-September]


Please check out my digital to-do list: https://trello.com/b/RM8yD3eq/rae-roy-general

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...