Skip to main content

2023 - Week 48

This week began roughly as I was still clearing the bad med from my system at the start of it, so I was quite tired. Overall, I was hopeful for better days ahead. 

ADHD Update

My biggest priority this week was to get my meds situation sorted out. On Saturday, I had left a message asking for an appointment with my psychiatrist. They called on Monday and booked me in for the afternoon. The new plan was to try a different stimulant type. Vyvanse is an amphetamine type, and that was very bad. Next up was Concerta, which is methylphenidate based like Ritalin, but lasts longer. I started it on Wednesday at the lowest dosage.

Early on, I felt like I was reasonably able to get back to my life. My head did feel a bit odd, but not like it did with Vyvanse. It was milder. It's normal to have some odd feelings up there as it helps fix the dopamine issue. I didn't want to get my hopes up though as I had felt OK very early on with Vyvanse.

Dose one had some of the same side effects, but at such a muted level in comparison. My mood was improved too, but also at a reasonable level. Rather than euphoria, I felt level. I also wasn't particularly hungry, but I didn't feel it to the degree that I felt it on Vyvanse, where I couldn't even recall what foods I like to eat. And I noticed I would get bursts of energy and focus rather than all or nothing, so it was a bit like a sine wave rather than the jagged peaks and valleys of a triangular one. My cognitive function was doing decent with it as well. I felt like I might just be able to get back to my goals and that was excellent.

By the end of the week, I was feeling really good about Concerta at the low dose I am on. I was having some dizziness, but not all that pronounced. And I was starting to eat more normally. I do notice when I'm feeling like I need a break from something and I wasn't noticing that soon enough before.

Crafting

Some work was done on my goth quilt. The other fat quarters I had ordered had come in during all the chaos of November, but I hadn't gotten further than washing them. I started and finished cutting off the selvage edges. 

After relearning how to make yarn balls with my ball maker, I'm ready to finish Lez Scarf. Years ago, my dumbass put my black yarn on a large wire spool and it was annoying and slow to knit with. I'm not sure what I'll knit next, but I reached out to a friend to find out who sells more natural fibre yarns in the Ottawa area. I brought my knitting to curling since I was there earlier than usual due to a car thing. More on that next week.

Curling

My physio appointment had to be postponed twice this week because my physiotherapist wasn't feeling well, so I just kept doing the strengthening exercises until our next appointment. Hopefully she didn't catch Covid. So many people have been lately.

At GSL, we played a game. We got three ends in. It should be 6 or more, but we usually only finish two.

This week was the beginning of Round 2 at Rainbow. I was able to get a ride from a league member there. I did some knitting while I watched the sheet I was playing on. I also checked to see how several friends were doing on their sheets. Our opponents forfeited, which has given us our first win. We made use of the ice time with a team practice and I think it was helpful to improve our communication.

Declutter

So far, I've added more things to the list than I've taken off, but I have been making progress. 

I have gathered clothing items that are way too big for me now for donation. I'm close to caught up on laundry and I've made progress on dishes. I'm also doing better at meals. I took Saturday off since the week was a lot with the med stuff and some work stress.

Gaming

My stream went smoothly and I opened up more of the initial map in Diablo IV. I played a bit more on Saturday. I'm trying to find more of the waypoints and I've been doing some of the side quests. I noticed a quirk in that if cross-play is off, you can't message friends. Well, you can, but you won't see their response in your game. It'll only be in the chat app. There should be an option that is like, "My friends are cool. I just don't want to share the world with a bunch of strangers because the lag is too ridiculous."

Lately, I've been playing Trove with some friends. It has some similarity to Minecraft, but it's a cute MMORPG dungeon crawler and it's free. It's also quite addictive.

Learning

A life thing I learned was that fridge light bulbs last more than 10 years and fridges don't look so good without light.

Of the three languages I'm dabbling in on Duolingo, French and Japanese were the most useful this week. Latin helps me understand French a bit better somehow. Perhaps it's just helping me get little things I wasn't before.

Reading/Watching

I'm not done it yet, but thoroughly enjoying The Chatelaine by Kate Heartfield, a local author. I love seeing how her career is progressing. It is a dark and queer tale from a historical fantasy lens: https://www.harpercollins.ca/9780008567859/the-chatelaine/

I watched Bottoms on Prime and it's hilarious. It was recommended to me by a friend who happens to be one of my former scriptwriting teachers that recently won a short film screenplay contest. He described it as, "teen lesbian fight club with the cult quality of Heathers," and I agree. Here is the trailer.

I also watched Gordon Ramsay's Shark Bait. I'm really thankful he made it though I was quite sad after seeing it. Hopefully, even more restaurants have stopped selling shark fin soup since 2011. I was especially sad to learn that they've been using small thresher sharks as bait for bigger sharks. Threshers are my favourite shark. They're smaller sharks and they flamboyantly stun their prey with a tail whip that is wonderfully resourceful.

Writing

When am I getting back to my writing? Your guess is as good as mine. Work is quite a bit right now as I put my first MSA in place and there is so much to get done before we have a period of not putting new contracts in place. And I'll soon be massively emailing purchase orders out to my sites and the suppliers that service them on top of the regular work. Knowing all that, I'm preferring to rest when I can and do the things I need to around my home. I've been taking lots of notes as I think up tweaks though. I'm often thinking about ways to improve certain scenes. I also think a lot about whether or not to foreshadow and where to do so along with whether or not to have easter eggs for the rest of the series. Yeah, there's a lot going on in my head all the time.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...