Skip to main content

2023 - Week 51

It's Yule and it has been so hard to focus on work this week. Everyone should give themselves a pat on the back for getting this far.

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay.


2SLGBTQIA+ News

This week in 2SLGBTQIA+ News, Pope Francis declared that Catholic priests can bless same sex couples, but not in conjunction with a wedding or civil union because he maintains that only one man and one woman can marry each other.

What a load of bullshit.

I'm not a Big 3 believer, but I did attend Catholic school as a child and went to church on occasion. Anyway, there are a lot of other options that don't involve adding the, "hate the sin, not the sinner," crap to your already challenging existence. And there are a lot of options that celebrate gay marriage just as much as straight marriage. The Catholic religion also has a bad record involving child molestation, so there is even more reason to seek spiritual and moral guidance elsewhere.

Furthermore, marriage is a legal contract. Weddings are a celebration of love. Gay people have always been here and love is love!

ADHD Update

I tried to schedule a follow up as it was close to the time to need a refill. Though my new med is vastly better, having rashes is really not a good sign, so it's probably not quite right. It has also mostly worn off by the early afternoon, so I wanted to check in and see what my doctor suggests. Oddly, I also feel amped on it, so I don't really know what I need at all. Perhaps a non stimulant is the answer for me.

Food is still a bit of a struggle. It's not as bad as it was with the previous medication, but my appetite is low until the evening. Liquids tend to be OK options at least.

Curling

GSL started earlier than usual, so we could all have a meal together before playing the last game until January 9th. Well, the last GSL until then. I have a game with Rainbow on the 7th. Anyway, I was eager to try some things out that I had seen while watching the recent Championships. I also wanted to work on my slide accuracy. I think I did improve it some, but the ice started out fast then slowed down and I threw some rocks short. Since we currently rotate positions each end, it can be hard to adapt quickly. I don't really know how I did either because I was on the sheet that has some stones that may be improperly matched or weighted according to some experienced players and my team of the evening had those stones.

Decluttering & Minimalism

I mainly focused on basic chores this week since I would be busy with family come the weekend.

Gaming & Streaming

I really wanted a horse, so it was back to doing the campaign quests in Diablo IV. There is one more Act to go before I can have a horse. I actually have two horses I can't access. They even have armour. I may do a pop up stream next week just to get it done.

Music

I located my Focusrite, but it took a bit to get my Yamaha keyboard to connect to my PC. At the end, I wasn't sure I even needed to be using the Focusrite for it. This is something to play around with after the holidays. I found a book on the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) that I use and I think I'm going to get the ebook version and use that to learn the software.

Writing

I've decided to channel Gandalf on writing timelines. Not that I'm a wizard, but I like his style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25q9_q3ILow

It does me no good to think I should already be done a project because I know so many people who are faster at putting their own work out. It's better to just try and get it done without any guilt that it's not done.

I'm tweaking my tags in regards to writing in order to separate the goal updates from posts that delve into the craft of the thing. People ask me questions about writing often enough that I think it's worth adding a tag for this.

I did make further progress on a screenplay this week. I need to plot the middle of the story before I will be able to get into a flow. I have some breadcrumbs sketched out that hopefully don't lead me to a cannibal's home because that's not currently part of the story. Maybe it should be though...

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...