Skip to main content

The PWHL

I've gotten my season tickets for the inaugural season of the Professional Women's Hockey League. I had put my deposit down as soon as it was open. Am I a hockey superfan? No. I enjoy hockey. I started watching it quite a lot during my divorce. I also used to practice my slapshot against the foundation of our house when I was an angst-filled teen. I care about women in sport having amazing opportunities like this.

Anyway, some people in the comments section on the posts are truly something.

The league posted the schedule, which was more of a calendar without time blocks listed. They happened to post that on the day that priority purchasing was opened for the season tickets. 

So then there are a bunch of people who didn't put deposits down that were complaining they can't buy tickets yet. Makes total sense 😒

And then there were a bunch of other people complaining that nothing has been announced on the streaming and televisation of the games. Some were even suggesting that they go with some little local channels in their specific cities.

It's clear to me that some people don't know how broadcast things work.

First of all, the league is probably currently in final negotiations with networks that have national reach like CBC in Canada. They could be talking to Sportsnet, ESPN, etc. It's also possible that the game times will be set up at a different time than the NHL is on, so they aren't in direct competition for viewership. And since a lot of TV schedules were initially set in the fall, they may have to accept some less ideal play times because it's all happening so fast.

I'm guessing on the schedule elements using my background in business, project management, screenwriting, and procurement. I'm also using what I've learned as a recreational athlete from roller derby, softball, and curling.

Anyway, freaking out at them and claiming they are doomed to fail because you haven't heard about streaming isn't helpful or kind. It won't make it happen faster either. It may be worth noting that the majority of people saying things like this belong to a certain subset of a demographic that may not handle seeing strong women playing hockey anyway.

I can also see the league solidifying ticket sales for non priority season ticket purchases and individual ticket sales before streaming is fully in place or announced. Acting like people don't want to be physically at games is idiotic. Viewing options for people who can't physically go are important, but it's one piece of a much larger picture.

Also, most people are abundantly aware that this first season is critical to having many more seasons. 

Other things they complain about include that final team names haven't been announced and not knowing what the plan is for playoffs. The initial team names were quite terrible. A lot of people are hoping they aren't the actual team names. I'm one of them. And on playoffs, the regular season is currently slated to go to early May. How about you give them a moment? Do you have your entire year planned out already? 

As far as I know, the teams still have a bit of recruiting left to fill out their lines. There are a lot of parts that are moving into place every day. And it's not like things immediately go to social media the moment they happen. The messages get crafted and have to be finalized and approved at pretty much every large organization that exists on this planet before being posted.

I'm excited to watch phenomenal female athletes do the one thing they are super passionate about for an international audience. I'm looking forward to figuring out who my player will be. Currently, based on music taste and a funny nickname, it may be Lexie, but I need to see her play to be sure. 

I didn't know so much was going on in women's hockey prior to the league being announced, so I'm late to the party and playing catch up. I think that no matter how it goes, it will be wonderful for women and girls to see this part of sports history. How many little girls will become professional athletes after this? How many women will learn that they are stronger than they previously thought? What an incredible time to be alive!

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...