Skip to main content

2024 - Week 46

Arts & Crafts

I painted a heart decoration:


On the one hand, it seems silly to bother doing this while my home is a disaster, but now it's not in the way and it's almost done. It just needs to be sealed.

My shelf has been sanded. It needs filler in places then light sanding after that. I'm hoping to get all the painting done next week and install it.

Decluttering & Minimalism 

This week, I realised that the key to everything was a furniture reorganization. My desk was moved to the non-window wall between my bookshelves and my balcony door. My craft table was moved to where my desk used to be. This allowed me to put my DIY display shelf project where it could actually be worked on for sanding, painting, and sealing.

The unit with my vinyl has to live temporarily anywhere I can put it. Once my shelf is ready for installation, my vinyl unit will be able to be in the dining room that is really my future reading and piano space. Actually, first I'll fix my bathroom door. 

Tiny Condo is like a constant game of Tetris, but less fun.

Despite this, I'm excited about the possibilities as I have been frustrated with my layout. The living room has too much in it to have any kind of good flow or even be safe to walk around in. I know that I'm in that painful, worse-before-it-gets-better stage, but I just want to be on the other side of it all.

I want to get this fixed up, so I can do a hopefully quick entrance reno before winter. This would be changing out the parquet flooring for leftover flooring I have that is way more waterproof. Then I might also put some wallpaper up to give it more character. I also plan to get different art. The largest piece was something that I got in a yard sale for $5 one year long before I moved to Ottawa. It's time for a change. It felt good donating it!

Sometimes one needs to add back and that is what I did this week with my wardrobe. A lot of things weren't fitting and I didn't have enough variety, so it was time to thrift. I got 4 pairs of pants, 1 sweater vest, 1 blazer, 1 casual long sleeve, 6 long sleeve button ups, and a Christmas tie for $130.

Gaming & Streaming 

Pathfinder went well though we were close to dying when we got swarmed in the graveyard.


Previous to this I had been recovering from the battle before this one. I spent a lot of time using a new heal song. I eventually got back into the fray and slashed some. They were weak to that and hurting one often hurt others. Eventually, we overcame them all and went back to town to report on our findings to the sheriff.

Goal Setting & Tracking 

Arts & Crafts: Shelf project (20%)
Decluttering & Minimalism: Thrifting for Clothes (100%)
Gaming & Streaming: Pathfinder (100%)
Lifestyle & Sports: Curling (0%) 
Music & Songwriting: Choir (100%)
Reading & Writing: 5 chapters read (100%)

Lifestyle & Sports 

Remember when my upper body was full of scar tissue from overworking my muscles? Well, that is now going on in my shins. Especially the right one that I fell on during a softball game. The only thing for it is trigger point release and it's super painful. Looks like I need to be more diligent at regularly using my massage gun and foam rolling.

I missed GSL curling again. I was exhausted and couldn't safely drive or do curling. It's probably partly my fault for working on condo stuff, but my shins need some time anyway.

Saturday had me at a drop in curling event. It had been a long time since I got a full game in. It felt good. Also bad because my muscles were sore. After the usual drink, we headed over to The Oak for karaoke night. 

Movies & Television

I'm thoroughly enjoying Ghosts on CBC Gem. It's a BBC show about a couple who inherit a house full of the ghosts of the woman's ancestors. The characters include a variety of people who died in various ways, often silly. It's a feel good show that regularly has me laughing aloud. Mary is my fave character.

I thought I hated comedies for a long time because I have older brothers and a lot of what they'd watch when I was growing up was pretty much toilet humour. 

Music & Songwriting 

All Voices Choir was good. I switched to tenor because I'm a contralto a.k.a. female tenor, which explains a lot actually. I avoided singing for so long because I just couldn't really hit the notes and I was always struggling. Part of that was that I kept trying to sing things that aren't in my range.

Reading & Writing

I've started reading Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. I was trying to read Wicked, but I just wasn't in the mood for it. Seven chapters into Gideon the Ninth and I want the whole series. I also want and need more books by Kate Heartfield. 

I did not get writing done this week. I plan to hit it hard as soon as my shelf is done.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...