Skip to main content

2024 - Week 47

Arts & Crafts

This week was all about the shelf. I wanted to get my home back. On Monday, I cleaned the sawdust up that was on the board, filled holes, sanded, and filled a bit more. I also fell on my arm and was super pissed off about it. Just bruised, thankfully. Sanding was a p.i.t.a. I hate the filler options that exist in today's world. I think the one I have is polymer instead of something more wood-like.

The second sanding, for the patches that had to have a second pass, was completed on Tuesday. I was able to paint the first coat on Wednesday evening.

I wasn't sure how many coats would be needed to cover the hole patches:


The painting part didn't take long. The cleanup of the paint did and it was messy. It made my sink and cupboard area look like a crime scene. Thankfully it was temporary. But I really want that bath mat someday that reacts with the water and leaves bloody footprints...

I got *wonderful* news on Thursday that next Thursday there would be a condo inspection. Perfect timing while I'm working on this large piece of wood and much of my condo is a disaster! With that, I had to postpone finishing the shelf. 

When I flipped it over, I saw that the side I hadn't painted was practically without holes, so I decided it would be the top instead. At least that was one good thing to come from all of this.

Decluttering & Minimalism 

It was time to go through more of my clothing. Anything that didn't fit had to go. I also had to admit that my previous weather mats don't fit in my new car, so they had to go too. 

Gaming & Streaming

I had no serious plans here because I had other things to focus on in the week.

Friends and I played Hues & Clues and Betrayal on Sunday. I've released I'm not all that into boardgames. I much prefer card games. They're often a bit simpler and allow people to socialize about more than the game at hand. They're more portable, take up less table space, and take less time to set up too.

Goal Setting & Tracking 

Arts & Crafts: Shelf! (40%?)
Decluttering & Minimalism: Clothing Audit (100%)
Gaming & Streaming: Boardgames (100%)
Lifestyle & Sports: Curling (80%)
Music & Songwriting: Choir (100%), Creepshow/Chick-182 Concert (66%)
Reading & Writing: Gideon the Ninth chapter 10 (100%)

Lifestyle & Sports 

I hurt something at curling. My upper thigh on the inside and the back. Hamstring and probably something that connects to it. It was a lot better the next day, but my shins have been giving me issues for many months and I decided I better get them looked at, so I made an appointment at a clinic. The following day, my hamstring was sore again. My arm is almost totally better, so of course the bottom half of my body is acting up. Grrr.

I got the xrays done on Friday afternoon. Luckily, I made it to the lab before they stopped doing xrays for the day. I guess the lab tech goes home early on Fridays. I thought lower body xrays would be a breeze compared to other ones, but the positions for things like knees are more uncomfortable and require balance that upper body xrays don't. Lesson learned.

Music & Songwriting 

All Voices Choir went well. We may drop a song depending on how things go next week. We also need to change the name because there's already an All Voices Choir in Kanata. All that aside, I always feel so happy after choir. I'm really glad I joined.

Saturday held a concert with Chick 182, Ottawa's all-female Blink 182 cover band. It was so fun to see them and I'm looking forward to their longer performance in early 2025. We didn't stick around for the third band.

On Sunday, I went to Wicked. This was the theatrical film release. I loved it. Such a great story. Ariana Grande provided a lot of comedic moments. Cynthia Erivo was stunning. Loved her voice and acting. Team Green all the way.

Reading & Writing

I reached my reading goal on Gideon the Ninth. Still loving the story. Gideon is awesome.

I'll be focusing on my writing once the condo inspection and my shelf are done. I have an anthology I'm working on currently.

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...