Skip to main content

2024 - Week 50

Arts & Crafts 

I continued working on my Fairy Cross-Stitch project this week. It was keeping me sane while I couldn't do much of anything else.

Decluttering & Minimalism 

My focus this week was on catching up on chores like laundry and dishes. I'm a bit annoyed about getting hit with the flu, but sometimes one just has to accept what's happening. It can be less stressful than trying to push when one is depleted. And it takes energy to fight. No point in wasting it on an immovable force. Sometimes, down the road, the circumstances will change all around and the patience will pay off if one is ready to seize the opportunities available then. 

Monday was dishes day. Tuesday was supposed to be folding day, but I had no energy for it after scraping my car off and going to Shopper's Drug Mart.

I did some laundry on Friday, but I had to pull someone else's stuff out of a machine because it had been 10-15 minutes and they still hadn't come for it. I find it so selfish when people take up all the machines and then don't even come back for it in a timely manner. There are over 100 people living here and only 5 washing machines. Set a damn timer.

Gaming & Streaming 

I played a bit of Minecraft. I started a creative world for fun to learn things and test builds out.

General & Miscelaneous

In life stuff, I managed to get my tire change completed this week. It was originally booked for Monday, but I was far too sick still, so it happened after work on Wednesday. I wasn't one hundred percent, but it was doable with a mask. I took a walk for much of the time rather than sitting around the waiting room. The fresh air and exercise were helpful. I was able to get some groceries while I was out and get most of the food part of my holiday shopping done. When I returned to the tire shop, I had to re-explain things, which was annoying.

Goal Setting & Tracking 

Arts & Crafts: Fairy Cross-Stitch
Decluttering & Minimalism: 
Gaming & Streaming: 
General & Miscelaneous: Tire Change (100%)
Health & Fitness: Resting and Recovering
Music & Songwriting: Choir (0%)
Reading & Writing: Gideon the Ninth - Chapter 15 (100%)

Health & Fitness

My main focus for the week was getting better. On Tuesday, I got some Buckley's to help me recover. The horrid tasting stuff helped a lot. I felt loads better by Wednesday. On Friday, I needed to get different medicine because I reacted to the caramel colouring I didn't know was in Buckley's Complete. I wish they'd stop adding colour to everything.

Movies & Television

I've been watching Riverdale while I've been sick. I previously got distracted early on when I originally watched it. I think it was needing me to suspend too much disbelief. It's been a nice escape. I enjoyed the Breakfast Club homage episode. There are so many pop culture Easter eggs in the show that it's truly a delight.

I am disheartened to learn that they will never leave the 1950s. I understand some of the appeal of the era. The wholesome dialogue, the cute outfits, the wholesome activities like sock hops, and the interior design elements. If we could have those without the racism, sexism, homophobia, and red scare crap views, maybe it wouldn't be terrible to have some of the 1950s back.

Mostly, the last season felt like a slap in the face of the fans. I couldn't finish it and switched to Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I had watched part of the series when it first came out, but got distracted by something while waiting for more episodes to arrive. I couldn't finish it either. Season 3's portrayal of pagans was idiotic and harmful. Season 4's eldritch horror theme was poorly executed at best. No one could withstand the Old Ones. It was completely ridiculous and a waste of time.

Netflix seems to make 1-3 seasons OK and then tank their shows. I'm worried what is to come with Stranger Things.

No wonder why I like British TV shows way more. They don't kill a story to death then screw up everything that was good about it. Even the rare long running shows like Dr. Who exhibit superior storytelling capabilities.

Music & Songwriting 

Given the flu, I missed the final practise before Saturday's performance. I had hope that I would be well by the performances, but worried without the extra time to practise.By Friday, I was still coughing quite a bit, so I let my choir know I was probably not going to be able to perform with them. I felt like bawling. I've wanted this for so long and I finally get here and I'm unable to participate. I probably look like some kind of flake who bails at the last minute. 

I'll definitely be avoiding bars during the next session in the hopes that keeps me from going through this again.

Reading & Writing

I made some progress on Gideon the Ninth. 

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Vision

Mostly, I’ve been planning for the new year, but I discovered I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It was a recollection under the influence that brought this to light. I also discovered I still suck at drawing, but I’m okay with that. I used to think I had to be good at everything, and I’ve realized that’s just not so. Some friends and I recently hit up a local board game pub. It was a pretty fun night. The first game was Balderdash and I was terrible at it. Because I was the writer in the group, some of my friends thought I should be more embarrassed about it and hide the fact that I don’t spend all my free time learning advanced vocabulary. But I’m not upset about it. Why? Two reasons: 1. I now know what I don’t know. 2. If one takes a close look at the top selling novels on the market, the level of the language used is not the level of many of the words in Balderdash. Not that I’m comparing my own work to those, but audience is what matters in writing. To me, it is far better to e...

Warrior Wednesday - Cross-training

[caption id="attachment_11040" align="alignright" width="300"] Image created using Bitmoji[/caption] Martial arts are a great workout, but it can be easy to forget that we need to do other exercises to ensure total body fitness. That being said, it doesn't have to take a lot of time or be a miserable experience. One of my Iaido mentors, 8th Dan Hatekenaka Sensei, does hot yoga when she isn't practicing Iaido. She practices Iaido every day whether there is class or not. Now Iaido is great for many things. Swinging a sword about takes *some* strength, so it works the upper body. It's important to mention that we try to get a sword that is a reasonable weight. Many are only a couple of pounds because they are a giant razor and don't need to be heavy in order to cut things. Also, a light sword should be able to be swung as thought it were heavy and a heavy one as though it were light. It also is helpful to prevent repetitive strain injuries. W...

Change is in the Air

I've been making a lot of changes lately around my home and some of them might seem a little odd, but they're making me happy. One thing I've done is taken apart my dining table. I never eat in there or have people over to eat. It was just another horizontal surface that would collect things like receipts, odd screws from various projects, and countless piles of paper. I had been frustrated because of the clutter it encouraged, but also because I didn't have a space for my Yamaha keyboard. I had been trying to use my keyboard in the living room, but it felt too cluttered and it wasn't sitting at the right height. With it now in my dining room, I was able to relocate my storage bench, which happens to be the perfect height to sit at while playing my keyboard. I now have much more breathing room. There is still a lot of mess to handle here yet, but I'm making solid progress. A lot of people suggest the bedroom is the place to start when decluttering, but I haven...